1997 max II help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 max II help

1997 max II help

I'm about to replace my bearings on my 97 max II. I was looking at my front axle today and it doesn't look like I have any inner bearings. There is a steel bar that runs between the two front axles in the middle of the frame with a cotter key in the right side of it and the 2 axles seem to just end at the frame. The bar does not spin with the axles.

Is this normal, or is this something that the previous owner may have rigged up? I don't want to order any inner bearings if I don't need them.

thanks

It sounds like you have a much older Max II with inner bushings instead of bearings. What serial number is your Max? Are your axles hollow?

serial number is 13672. Not sure about the axles, but they look solid just looking at the outside of them in the floor board.

You can call the factory and they can tell you the exact year. It sounds like you have bushings instead of bearings. You may also have the smaller outer bearings (62mm instead of 72mm). I think there is a picture in the gallery somewhere showing axles like yours. Techfx posted a couple photos of the bushings themselves:

Then, racerone3 had some good tips for removing the old bushings and replacing them while also adding a grease fitting to extend their life: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-bushings.html
    Last edited by Mike; 12-14-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: removed incorrect information I gave regarding the year based on the serial number so I don't mislead anyone else

well #$%*,

I guess the guy I bought it from got me on that one cuz he said it was a 97.

I just looked at the parts list and it called that middle bar I was talking about a "replacement stub shaft". And you are right, it also shows that I have bushings. I guess RI will know what bearings I'll need once I give them the serial #?

Well, is all lost, or is what I paid the other day ($1750) still a descent price for (what now looks to be) an early 90's all original max II 18hp vanguard that runs/drives great, but needs new bearings?

One of my Maxes is a 1993 and it has the stub shaft....I think the design was updated in the mid to late 1990's to inner bearings with pillow blocks. The stub shafts work alright, but if you want to beef up your machine (which is always a good idea) you could just buy the inner bearings and pillow blocks that the newer Max II uses and bolt them in. That way you would have inner bearings and the stub shaft which would be extra durable. The previous owner of my machine did that and everything has held up very well. As Mike said, call the factory and they'll tell you the exact year based on your serial number. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

14035 is the serial # of our 97 max II so i don't think your too far off. ours also has inner bushings. i was a little shocked by that, but i called the factory and they verified it. give them a call with your # and they can tell you exactly what yours is.

if you decide not to go with bearings, replace all the bushings, and clean up any burs on the stub shafts. drill a hole through the axle and new bushing and install a grease fitting. grease them regularly and they should last a long time. (17/32 drill, 1/4-28 tap for the grease fittings)
    Attached Images
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For some reason 1998 sticks out in my mind now for the year that Recreatives added some upgrades and I think inner bearings might be included.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I just bought a Max II with serial #8997 and called the factory... it's a 1990 model, so 1997 sounds closer for serial #13672.

Looks like I was wrong. I'm batting .500 this week (I gave bad info on a tracks thread the other day). I think I need to put a disclaimer in my signature.

Sorry mudd, I wasn't trying to mislead you. Looks like I confused my 94 with my 97. I'm going to edit my original response so I don't mislead anyone else that finds this thread later.

+ Reply to Thread