How do i register my MAX II as a boat in New York State?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do i register my MAX II as a boat in New York State?

How do i register my MAX II as a boat in New York State?

Firstly i would like to offer greeings to all!, i am new here on the 6x6 forum & this is one of my 1st posts..

I just picked up a 99' MAX II for a decent price, I have never owned or driven a 6x6 prior to tonight, nor any ATV for that matter!.. This is quite a machine & will take some getting used to controlling it!..

Where i am located on Long Island, there is virtually no lands for an ATV anymore, nor do i have an ATV trailer for the MAX..

What i want to do is register it as a boat & drive it to the river which is only 2 miles away..

Now I know these do not come with titles, all i have is a "bill of sale" for this..
    How exaclty can i do this in N.Y.? & is this a good idea for me to do? any input would help me alot!

~ SumpCommander

I used my Max serial number for the HID (hull identification number) when I registered mine as a boat. Here's an article that might help you out a little more.

By the way, this will confuse the people at the DMV so much, they'll just look at you with a blank stare. But it can be done without too much trouble, you just have to find someone there that knows what they're actually doing.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...-atv-boat.html
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the info.. Yes I live on Long Island where there are no known places to drive an ATV legally..
    I am guessing that if I do register it as a boat, would I be able to drive the MAX to the water do you think?
    Since I live in a very non-wooded suburbia, it would have to be driven on public roads to get there.. which might attract a cop.. I dont know what they might say if I told them Im driving a "boat" on a public road lol... It's just not a good area out here, a tough place to have a 6x6 im guessing.

Sump, maybe George and/or Pat will chime in as they too live on L.I. I am in Putnam, NY. I think the same goes there as here, maybe more strictly enforced though. You cannot drive an ATV on public roads, even if you have a plate for it. (Yep, they can tax you but you still can't use it ) I seriously doubt they would let the "boat" thing fly either. But best to talk with the local police, since they are the ones you'll be dealing with. I wouldn't trust the DMV, they can say all clear but that doesn't mean *^%*& if the police decide to impound the Max. FYI, a small trailer will probably be less than an impound fee, definitely less hassle, and can be towed by even a relatively small vehicle. U-Haul sells hitch receivers for small vehicles for towing light trailers, though they're certainly not the only source for them.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

6x6:

Yes your right, I think my best bet is an ATV trailer as a 1st step... I dont think running the MAX II through suburban streets is the best idea either, at least if i register it as a boat I can bring it by the water & maybe tool around in some swampy areas.. I got the hitch receiver, tow ball, & wiring on my truck already so i'm all set there...

Long Island is a tough place to own an ATV, there are no know areas to ride them these days, I def would like to hear from fellow LI'ers who own a 6x6..
    Am i also correct to assume that running the MAX on street will wear the tires extra fast as well?

SC

Ok, just figuring the whole 6x6 concept out here, the biggest challenge is of course my location

+ Reply to Thread