Max 2 tires ....Which is best size/largest size for clearance on a standard machine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max 2 tires ....Which is best size/largest size for clearance on a standard machine?

Max 2 tires ....Which is best size/largest size for clearance on a standard machine?

Just curious which is largest size i can run and best place to pic them up.
    Also curious if anyone ran four larger tires with these and used the center for smaller size ?
    Might help with some clearance?
    Also is it really worth it to go from 16 to 23 hp?
    or is 18 enough?
    Dont want to go breaking axles or chains/sprockets.
    Thanks for all the help
    Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

I think the largest tire I've seen on a Max II without body modifications is a 25x12.00-9" Goodyear Rawhide III tire. On a stock machine, you're likely running an 8" rim. Several folks have changed to 9" rims and fit the Rawhide IIIs on. The 25x12.00-9" is pretty difficult to find, since Goodyear is no longer making them. You can find 25x11.50-9" tires on ebay quite regularly, but they're a significantly larger tire, and won't fit without modifying the body.

Running a smaller tire in the center pretty much defeats the purpose of a six wheel drive machine, and the tire-to-tire distance isn't the limiting factor in tire size; it's the clearance to the body. There's plenty of clearance on the rear axles for larger tires, but the fronts are limited by the tub clearance.

Maximum tire size is discussed often... check out the search funciton. Here's another thread to get you started....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...es-max-ii.html

~m

Thanks for the help man.
    What are the best mods you know of for the machine?
    Max 2
    i have 2 and want to play with one and keep one always running close to factory.

I don't own a Max II, so I can't speak from direct experience, but lots of folks tend to upgrade to more horsepower and more aggressive tires that still yield good water speed. Check out the gallery to see what folks have done. Winches, roll cages, splined axles (if you don't already have them), tracks, lighting, exhaust.....the possibilities are just about endless. I don't know if you're running a 16hp Briggs in your machine, but they seem to have more than enough power to turn the biggest tire you can fit under your body. That's not to say you can't go a lot bigger; it's just that 16 seems to cut the mustard just fine.

Have fun with it, and post some pictures of your machine...
    ~m

Of course it depends on what you are doing with it but up here in the north we do a lot of running tracks in the snow.I have a 23 hp. and just came back from breaking trails,it is very deep with icy snow,closer to sand in consistency.I would have been happy to have 30 hp. as the 23 worked really hard.The 16 hp. would not have done it here tonight and I think even the 18 would not have either.The 23 had just enough power for this type of going (4-5 feet).That said,without tracks and snow any of the aforementioned would be very adequate.

I really appreciate the advice.
    Im here in flat Florida with a good amount of swamp and sand.
    Not too many hills , but thick brush.
    I have a 14 hp unit that is too weak and a 16 that is great.
    I look to bet both up to at least one more 16 maybe one 18 also.
    Thanks for all the help.

As others here have mentioned in other threads, the only diff between 14 & 16 is the carb. Upgrade your safety features for sure, if you don't have 'em already, seat belts and a roll bar are a must. The winch option can come in handy, especially if you're chugging thru really swampy stuff down where you're at in FL. Ride safe. Ride smart. Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread