Floating in the Max II questions & comments

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floating in the Max II questions & comments

Floating in the Max II questions & comments

OK, in no particular order. We had a good rain today & a couple of local ditches were quite full, so when the rain left I went to play. Today is the first time I've actually floated my Max since I've had it. OMG, it does bob around like a cork! Mine sits in the water low left front, high right rear. Why does it do that? I'm sitting in the middle of the seat & even if I shift my weight over, it doesn't help a lot. It's fairly stable tho, I guess. Now, my understanding the reason we run the tires (Goodyear Rawhide IIs) 'backwards', with the chevrons facing to the rear, is so it will do better in the water. Hmm. Hardly. It would go better backwards than forwards. Was that me or should I turn them around? There was hardly any current in the ditch(es) as one reason they were full is they're blocked pretty badly. However, I did find that it takes very little current to have me at its mercy. This thing wouldn't turn, wouldn't go where I wanted it hardly! Just about the time I'd have it headed to the way out, the ever so slight current would throw me off center! It was kinda funny even tho I felt stranded. I had almost decided I was gonna have to winch myself out! I finally started downstream (downditch?) about 20 feet & found an agreeble opening to crawl out. I can see why serious water folks mount trolling motors on Maxes. After this, tho, I can see I need to definitley have a small paddle, maybe a 'push pole' & I'm thinking of a grappling hook to be able to throw to the bank if need be. The next ditch, a bit wider, with a noticeable current, but not bad, I had a fairly straight shot from Point A to Point B about 50 feet across & just dove in & barrelled across & crawled right out. So, any of you with more water time have any suggestions for my issues? Oh,yeah, I have a bilge pump & that sucker was pumping out a fairly healthy stream every now & then. Is that typical? It was all fun, anyway. Thanks in advance.

Well first they can take on some water depending on the integrity of the bearing flange seals at the body and the seals of the bearings.The bilge pump if it was keeping ahead then it was doing its job.They are a bit wobbly at rest when floating but you would have to go out of your way to upset them.You could in a water filled ditch indeed have strong current as they are sloped to drain.In some cases it could exceed that of a fast running stream.Now if it wouldn't turn and obviously does on land and it went better in reverse than forward you have your tires on backwards.If they are configured to swim when you look at them from the top the point of the "V" will point toward the rear of the machine.When you are propelling in the water and under way the front will ride up on the water and level the machine and it much like a canoe when moving will be quite stable.The trolling motor you mention unless a really big one will not be a real adversary of very strong current.I use mine for the purpose of a quiet cruise and if it is faster than my 21 inch rawhides it is only marginally so.

Thanks for the input. What I meant by running the tires backwards was just that, with the V pointing to the rear, which is the way mine are, yet, as I said, it goes better backwards than it does forwards, which is what's confusing. Most of these ditches here are on pretty flat ground, which is the drainage problem. It's really flat 'cause I'm at the airport.

Well with the "V" pointed to the rear the only way it would go better in reverse is if there was current going with you in that direction and in forward you were running against the current.Why it won't turn.....you got me.

When I was going backwards, I was either going against the current or across it. When i said it wouldn't turn, I guess I should've been more clear. It would turn, it just took forever. I could, however, tell a difference when turning into the current as opposed to turning against it. In addition, it would turn better going backwards! How would turning the tires around affect its traction in mud? I know the reason these types of tires are mounted with the V forward on tractors is so they will clear themselves of mud.

You are correct about the V on tractor tires clearing mud.From what I am told with the point of the V pointing towards the rear the difference in mud traction is negligible.What kind of tires are they? It runs against anything I have experienced.

First place turn yours tires around. Stay out of major current or you will get in trouble. I installed orings around my bearings and this stopped all water from comming in, havent used my bilge pump at all. Add weight or move your battery to balance your max in the water. Any weight you mite add make sure you keep it as low as you can. My max works very well in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by famvburg View Post
    .... OMG, it does bob around like a cork! Mine sits in the water low left front, high right rear. Why does it do that? I'm sitting in the middle of the seat & even if I shift my weight over, it doesn't help a lot. It's fairly stable tho, I guess.
    Check your tires for pressure, and take them off the machine looking for a heavy tire. Maybe lost a bead, they will often re-seat, but full of water, just a thought. a tire low on pressure will float less, though what you describes SEEMS too drastic, but maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by famvburg View Post
    Now, my understanding the reason we run the tires (Goodyear Rawhide IIs) 'backwards', with the chevrons facing to the rear, is so it will do better in the water. Hmm. Hardly. It would go better backwards than forwards. Was that me or should I turn them around? There was hardly any current in the ditch(es) as one reason they were full is they're blocked pretty badly. However, I did find that it takes very little current to have me at its mercy. This thing wouldn't turn, wouldn't go where I wanted it hardly! Just about the time I'd have it headed to the way out, the ever so slight current would throw me off center! It was kinda funny even tho I felt stranded. I had almost decided I was gonna have to winch myself out! I finally started downstream (downditch?) about 20 feet & found an agreeble opening to crawl out. I can see why serious water folks mount trolling motors on Maxes. After this, tho, I can see I need to definitley have a small paddle, maybe a 'push pole' & I'm thinking of a grappling hook to be able to throw to the bank if need be. The next ditch, a bit wider, with a noticeable current, but not bad, I had a fairly straight shot from Point A to Point B about 50 feet across & just dove in & barrelled across & crawled right out. So, any of you with more water time have any suggestions for my issues? Oh,yeah, I have a bilge pump & that sucker was pumping out a fairly healthy stream every now & then. Is that typical? It was all fun, anyway. Thanks in advance.
    My Attex swims quite well and I still keep a Pole in questionable conditions if I don't have other machines with me.

I would get it floating level before switching tires around or swearing off swimming. I don't know how a Max II normally floats but what you described seems off. V pointing back on the top of the tire should swim good in FWD, but it's never gonna compete with a boat, even a sailboat in light breeze
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

The 22" Rawhide III tires are slow in water, but not quite as bad as you seem to experience. You'll want to float your machine level even if that requires you to sit on the right. Also, don't give it any more than about 1/2 throttle. The 22" tires are great for mud and give a soft ride, but any serious water riders should go with the 21" Rawhides. They have a lot less tread but they really go in water. Of course they don't go as good as the 22" or 24" Argo tire, which is the best water tire I've found. \The 24" tires are very close to the body and modification might be nessasary to avoid body damage. The new Argo 22" tire should be perfect.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-06-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: no commercial posts
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Brandon, do you know what the difference is from the old Argo 22" tire and the new? Also do you have any experience yet with RI's Maxxis tire which they are using to replace the discontinued 22" Goodyear Rawhide? You make a good point about 1/2 throttle,many years ago my uncle had a Terra Jet and when I got my Max that was his advice to me on account of at full speed you dig a hole in the water giving yourself less propulsion.Actually I find with the Max the only application for more throttle is a running start before attempting a short steep incline.

+ Reply to Thread