Max IV questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV questions

Max IV questions

Hi Everyone

I just picked up a new 2006 Max IV 850 that has been sitting at a distributers warehouse for over 4 years. Its in perfect shape with not a scratch on it and nubs on tires. However the throttle cable is broken (ordered new one from RI - great service) and the engine wont run due to the very smelly fuel.

I drained the fuel tank, put new fuel filter, new plugs and cleaned most of the carb out. It now fires and runs for a few seconds and dies. I dont know if its because the carb is still somewhat dirty or the throttle cable is broken with tons of slack in it at the engine side. Silly question if you dont mind

How do you unhook the broken throttle cable from the thottle lever? It looks like you put a wrench to it and unthread the cable? Mine is tight as hell. Also when you get the new replacement cable do they go into the lever easy?

On the Kohler command 23 carb there is a fishing line running from the throttle arm to the metal pivot plate. What is this for and can it be removed? It seems un needed as there is a metal piece right above it doing the same function. The reason i ask is because this fishing line piece is stopping me from removing the carb completely from the machine.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I cant wait to get this badboy out on the trails.

Thanks!

You can try disconnecting the throttle cable at the carb end. This should give you enough slack to push the cable ball up through the lever. FYI, When you ordered a new unit you will get a new throttle cable, a new lever assembly, and a new right grip. I wouldn't worry about the old cable too much as you can simply disconnect the old cable it all from the carb end, slip off the old right grip, loosen the throttle pivot from the right lateral, and slide the whole unit off intact. Make sure you unplug the old electrical connectors (heated cable only) and cut all of the cable ties that attach it to various points on the frame, levers, engine and chassis. You might need to remove the floor boards to get to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toynut View Post
    You can try disconnecting the throttle cable at the carb end. This should give you enough slack to push the cable ball up through the lever. FYI, When you ordered a new unit you will get a new throttle cable, a new lever assembly, and a new right grip. I wouldn't worry about the old cable too much as you can simply disconnect the old cable it all from the carb end, slip off the old right grip, loosen the throttle pivot from the right lateral, and slide the whole unit off intact. Make sure you unplug the old electrical connectors (heated cable only) and cut all of the cable ties that attach it to various points on the frame, levers, engine and chassis. You might need to remove the floor boards to get to all of them.
    Thanks for the information toynut. I should be getting the replacement parts next week but my throttle cable only goes into the aluminum handle sleave. There is no ball or T on the end and nothing is sticking out near the actual lever. I guess that broke off before. So what is the easiest way to remove the broken cable lodged in the aluminum handle sleave?

Much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread