Small block chevy powered maxx 4

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small block chevy powered maxx 4

Thumbs up Larry W Small block chevy powered maxx 4

BEEN THINKING ON BUILDING A 600HP FREAK, DONT NEED TO FLOAT, JUST DRIVE AROUND CAR SHOWS AND MAJOR EVENTS. HAS THIS BEEN DONE OR WILL I BE BREAKING NEW GROUND.

Hmmm

600 HP out of a small block Chevy is only done by real professionals.......but the 300 HP you are likely to get will be tearing everything apart. Have you thought about a smaller, lighter, all aluminum 4cyl, something like an ECOTECH ? You'd be looking at more like 175-200 HP and not the instant torque upon touching the throttle that WILL snap chains, twist axles in half and thats if the T-20 doesn't break first. Remember that 40 yrs ago the t-20 was designed for holding up to a 2 stroke motor in the (40-50 HP range???) and they don't have the instant torque in the low rpm range. I think you are looking at alot of effort for something that wont even be drivable.

If its just for show why not build a slightly scaled up version? Build a tubing frame with a fiero reared and trans. You can bolt a smallblock to it. Build a mild compression 350 with a large cam for sound. It will be easier to keep cool with the limited space for radiator. Make it traditional steering on the middle and front axle. Custom sheet metal body and brakes on the middle and front axle for burnouts. With front engine and an 11" driveshaft you are at 89" from radiator front to axle center.

guys, i think there may be a troll in the room. just saying

if you just threw a new 23 hp vangaurd why would you swap it out? nIf so Ill buy the 23 from ya

not looking to replace the 23, just been thinking during this restoration, and playing with whats around in the garage from past race cars, that this could work. for long who knows. had diffrent ways of doing it, but mounted sideways with a racing clutch tuned to the right rpm engaging the t-20 there is still enough room. not looking to do any 6500 rpm passes with it. im going to set it up and take some pictures of how it would look.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    600 HP out of a small block Chevy is only done by real professionals.......but the 300 HP you are likely to get will be tearing everything apart. Have you thought about a smaller, lighter, all aluminum 4cyl, something like an ECOTECH ? You'd be looking at more like 175-200 HP and not the instant torque upon touching the throttle that WILL snap chains, twist axles in half and thats if the T-20 doesn't break first. Remember that 40 yrs ago the t-20 was designed for holding up to a 2 stroke motor in the (40-50 HP range???) and they don't have the instant torque in the low rpm range. I think you are looking at alot of effort for something that wont even be drivable.
    You can easily get 400 HP out of a 400 SBC, I am putting one in my GMC Sierra. 600 HP is by no means unreasonable.

That much power would quickly destroy a T-20. Use a Turbo 400 trans and go directly to a rear end with the axles shortened and the brakes moved in right up against the case. Use a dual master cylinder setup for differential steering, then use NO. 80 chain from each side to only special rear axles made from 2" steel. If you're just going to take it to car shows, you don't need 6 wheel drive.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 05-13-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: I will try not to make any more irate posts when I've been on a tractor for 16 hours and awake for 20, 3 days in a row, LOL.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

hi ,
    ya kidn are u not
    none of the drive train will handle it . can u say bang bang boom . the sounds a T20 will make with that much torque .

+ Reply to Thread