New 6x6 owner!! What kind and year is this? how do I tighten the chains?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 6x6 owner!! What kind and year is this? how do I tighten the chains?

New 6x6 owner!! What kind and year is this? how do I tighten the chains?

Hey Guys,
    I have been wanting a 6x6 for a long time and finally got one!!! Unfortunately it is somewhat of a project, it has been sitting for a while. I have been researching for a while and came to conclusion that it is a Max II. I think. I have no clue the year or anything else, any information you guys could tell me would be really appreciated! I think it is also a 2 stroke, the motor says JLO Rockwell on the side thats all I know. What size engine is it? lastly the previous owner told me it had problems throwing the chains, after I examined them I realized they were very loose. I couldn't find a chain tightener on them ( as I saw in a youtube tutorial) how do I tighten them? Thanks for all the help guys!

argo 1.jpgargo 3.jpgargo 2.jpgargo 4.jpg

If you look on the dash there should be a plate with a serial number. Call recreatives and give them the serial number and they will tell you the year. 1-800-255-2511
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

on a machine that old (assuming the JLO is original), the SN will be located under the seat. Where the bulkhead in front of the battery comes up and bends forward, you should find the SN stamped on the right side. you will probably need to sand some paint to find it. It should be a 4 digit #
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Welcome to the site! For adjusting the chains, check out this how-to article: How to adjust your chains

Also if the salsbury clutch is original it is dated also. 2 digits by them selves is the year. The tag is near the bolt on the crank.

Hey Guys, Thanks alot for the help!!!! I think the original plate on the dash has been ripped off. but I will go check all of those other places! I cant wait to get this thing running out see what it can do. also I read on here that a proper oil to fuel ratio is 20:1 is that correct or the best for it? thanks again for all of the support!

looking back at the pics, I can tell by the shape of the lower tub that your machine is newer than '74. a machine of that vintage probably never had the dash plate.

20:1 was used back in the day with straight weight motor oil. with todays synthetic oils (I always used "golden spectro") 40:1 is a safe # and I've heard of people running a lot leaner than that with no ill effects.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thank guys for all the help!
    Im still having problems adjusting the chains, they are very loose and rubbing on the driver side tub.
    after watching the how to youtube video I see I don't have the easy click adjusters. Rather another smaller sprocket
    which looks like it moves down to tighten the chain. On the driver side it is incredibly loose and the adjustment gear
    seems to be bent or on an angle, rather it shoud stick out further to be inline with the other sprockets. Is this right? How can I adjust more chain as it appears the upper and lower chain will soon be rubbing. And what can I do th get the small sprocket adjuster to no lean so bad and keep the chain in line? Maybe I just need a new chain? Thanks guys

It sounds like you need to fix the adjusters first. Regardless of what type it is, it shouldn't be at an angle like that. You are right, it should be in line with the other sprockets.

Still confused with the throwing chain problem

Hey guys this is still giving me a hard time, after more research i have been told my machine is around a 1970 to '74. So in order to tighten the front chains the adjustments are sprockets, like I was trying to explain the alignment is all out of wack. the adjusting sprocket is on an angle probably causing the chain to keep throwing. this doesn't make sense unless the front sprocket for the front wheel moved more toward the right as well as the back sprocket. so the adjuster sprocket, in the middle is still to far to the left. the guy that previosly owned it threw a couple washers between the sprocket and the open slot for adjustment at allows it to slide up and down. Is it possible to adjust the front wheel sprocket and the back sprocket (for the middle wheel) to bring it back in line with the adjuster sprocket or do I need to find a way to modify the aduster sprocket to extend out another inch or two to be inline with the rest. sorry if this is confusing but im kind of lost with this issue. Thanks for all the support!
    Last edited by Mike; 05-20-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic. Just reply to your existing thread. ;)

+ Reply to Thread