New 6x6 owner!! What kind and year is this? how do I tighten the chains?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New 6x6 owner!! What kind and year is this? how do I tighten the chains?

I have never seen a Max II with sprockets for the front adjusters, which has me wondering if someone has modified your machine over the years. could you get some pictures and post them up here so we can see what you have going on?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think you need to loosen the locking collars on the axles so that you can align the sprockets with each other. The axles are only held in alignment by the laocking collars and they have been known and expected to allow the axle to shift when you hit something.

I merged your two threads after the guys above replied so they didn't see your other posts. With that in mind, before you go adjusting the placement of your axles, you need to fix the adjusters since, like racerone3 said, they don't sound like they are the stock adjusters. Fix those first and then adjust the position of your axles / sprockets if it is necessary. Otherwise, it sounds like you will be adjusting the placement of your axles to a tensioner that is not in the right location or at the right angle. If you will post some pictures of them someone could probably advise you further from there.

Thanks again everyone, I will try and snap some pictures tonight to try and more clearly show this issue. I due believe it is all stock and not modified by a previous owner, first because of the quality, it looks like its all original and usually you can tell when someone did a modification like that on their own. Second I called up richardsrelics.com and talked to a man there as I had seen that he offered an new design to solve the problem, when I told him they were sprockets for adjusters he said thats right and he thought that was stock from 1970-1973, that was when they used a sprocket system as a tensionor. His new tensioner design would not work on that old of a machine. He also advised cutting torching and rewelding to make it right, which i really hate to do that. as i have looked closer at the issue it seems as though the part of the frame that the tensionor slides on is only bent in about 1/4-1/2", and the sprocket is out of line by about 1 1/2-2" so it makes me wonder if the sprockets on the axles have shifted inward over time or one of the previous owners did that if it is possible.....

I took a few pics this is the only one that turned out somewhat ok. also the degree or angle the sprocket is leaning at is not that extreme becasue the previuos owner stacked some washers between the sprocket and slide rail to try and center it. I know that its just half ass and I want a reliable machine that will go anywhere with out worry

with some help I was able to straighten out the bracket and make some new slider plates out of 2x2 stainless squares. problem solved! thanks for the help guys

Did you try to apply pressure to the tightening sprocket, then rotating the front wheel forward? We had the same problem until we did that, or you may have to take a link out. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread