belt squealing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: belt squealing

belt squealing

I just finished rebuilding my Max IV but the belt is squealing the belt was purchased in about '97 with the Max. Could the age of the belt have anything to do with the noise? Any advise would be appreciated.
    "I thank god for my life, And for the stars and stripes, May freedom forever fly Let it ring. Salute the ones who died, The ones that give their lives, so we Dont have to sacrifice All the things we love" Zac Brown Band

It coould be age, stretch and wear.

Some belt dressing might help. If the belt need to be tightened, you can adjust the distance between the pulleys.

Or get a new belt.

Information I forgot to mention. This was a spare belt purchased at the time the Max was purchased. It was never used until now. when I reassembled the max I put the original belt back on but since I didn't clean the surface rust off of the bottom pulley it ate 3/16" off the belt in one day. So I cleaned the pulley and put the spare belt on. Now I have no wear and no loss of power just squealing.
    "I thank god for my life, And for the stars and stripes, May freedom forever fly Let it ring. Salute the ones who died, The ones that give their lives, so we Dont have to sacrifice All the things we love" Zac Brown Band

If you ate 3/16" off the belt then I think you have answered your own question.

Time for a new one.

Please reread my last comment. I fixed the hungry pulley, and installed an unused 14 year old belt. So I guess the true queston is does a belt become unusable when it sits on the shelf for 9 years then on the seat for 5 years?

Adjust belt to slack in spec and use dressing both. I think the deflection of slack measured in the center is about 1 3/4 inch. The dressing may help compensate for glazing that may have occurred over those years.

Ok I got a new belt Friday, that solved the problem although I haven't put very many hours on it because I have been fighting fever since Saturday. Belt dresser would only work on the old belt for about 20 minuets.

+ Reply to Thread