Max II vs. Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: Which Recreative Industries 6x6 ATV is best?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max II

24 38.71%
  • Max IV

28 45.16%
  • Both are the same

3 4.84%
  • I don't care because Argos are better!

7 11.29%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II vs. Max IV

Post Max II vs. Max IV

I have been able to use a Max II and Max IV both a good bit for a pretty good comparison. Keep in mind though that these two machines have different options. Here's what I have found about these off-road amphibians from Recreative Industries.

Speed: If we drive together on the road at all, the Max IV always pulls away from the Max II at wide open throttle. However, the Max IV is equiped with 26" tires so that diameter difference probably accounts for the ~ 2 mph faster speed.

Winner - Max IV

Comfort: As we know all too well probably the biggest downside to our beloved 6x6 machines is the fact that they have no suspension other than the tires. With that in mind, I think the 26" tires really hinder the Max IV when it comes to "bump comfort". Those tires just do not flex well at all. The smaller (and more worn) tires on my Max II seems to take the initial shock out of most bumps.

Also, the biggest comfort factor for me (I am 6'2" tall) is the leg room. In the Max II, I can stretch out my legs but in the Max IV, I always hit my knees on the dash.

Winner - Max II

Off Road: With the larger tires, the Max IV seems to do a little better in all flat-land off road conditions like mud, snow, sand, etc. It has been able to go through a couple of mudholes where my Max II got stuck and it seems to do better in creek beds as well. However, I feel that the Max II does a better job of ascending and descending hills perhaps to its slightly lower center of gravity. Now I haven't found a hill that the Max II could climb that the Max IV couldn't but it feels much safer.

Winner - Max IV

Water:
    There is no comparison in the water. The Max II rocks like a canoe while the Max IV is more like a pontoon boat. Don't get me wrong, the Max II does a good job in the water and actually lets you lean into turns more but with two people, you sometimes have to both slide to the right to get a level vessel. I have had the Max IV in several ponds with 4 full-sized people and it never felt unstable. If we are going to be in the water more than on land, I take the Max IV everytime. I have even fished out of it for hours in some backwoods ponds.

Winner - Max IV

Capacity: The carrying capacity is another no-brainer and if you are needing to carry people and/or gear, there is only one way to go:

Winner - Max IV

Size: Althrough it is somewhat negligable, the Max II has been able to fit in between some trees that the Max IV couldn't so I would say it is slightly easier to maneuver.

Winner - Max II

After these 6 simple and unscientific comparisons, here's how the results stack up:

Max II - 2
    Max IV - 4

WINNER - MAX IV

It seems that the Max IV is the winner hands down and before I owned one I had always thought the Max IV would be my 6x6 of choice but after my Max II showed up locally in the paper at a good price, I couldn't resist.

In the end I am happier with the Max II. Most of my time in the water is just crossing creeks or small ponds that last no longer than 5-10 minutes in the water playing around. So for me the comfort that the Max II offers along with the safer-feeling low center of gravity makes it a lot more fun. It seems like the Max II just zips around more easily.

So for me, if I had to buy a brand new Max, it would be a Max II no questions asked. I'll just take the Max IV to go fishing

My personal pick - Max II
    Last edited by Mike; 12-06-2007 at 10:54 PM.

cool i'm hoping to get a maxiv soon can't wait .

Wow, I forgot about this post. I believe it was one of the first few on the site.

I dont think so

After I finish my ma2 Ill change that.LOL
    REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have only driven max IV but there isn`t much that can stop it except a steep shore line when your in water

The Max II tippy thing took me a long time to get used to it, they seem to be tippy all right but they go to a certain list and then stop suddenly, it also seems to make a big difference if you have the hub extensions on.
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

I've always preferred the IV.

Mike -

Shame on you for not including the mighty Buffalo Truck in this poll!!! LOL.

I am trying to figure out a way to justify picking up a lightly-used Buff and equipping it with a roll cage w/ cloth cab, 2-ton winch and the 72" blade. I also wouldn't mind seeing if Whipper would be interested in springering it, then packing on some meaty Vampires for superior muck traction. It would be my ultimate backwoods UTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Mike -

Shame on you for not including the mighty Buffalo Truck in this poll!!! LOL.

I am trying to figure out a way to justify picking up a lightly-used Buff and equipping it with a roll cage w/ cloth cab, 2-ton winch and the 72" blade. I also wouldn't mind seeing if Whipper would be interested in springering it, then packing on some meaty Vampires for superior muck traction. It would be my ultimate backwoods UTV.
    One idea I toyed with was a wrecker/tow truck Buff. Instead of the stake bed, a crane arm from the frame out over the rear, with a winch.

Holy old thread revival Batman. This was posted in the first week of this site going live.

+ Reply to Thread