What are the springs for?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are the springs for?

What are the springs for?

What are the springs for that attach to the eye-bolts under the battery box in a max 4?
    Where do these springs attach opposite of the eye-bolts?
    What is the "lb. rating" for these springs?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Jon.

These springs are basically useless and many people, including myself remove them. It's strictly driver preference if you want them on or not. They're just to keep the tension on the steering sticks/laterals in the forward position. Only Max uses this setup and after you drive it without them, you'll never want to go back. There will be driver fatigue after long trail rides working the sticks under spring tension back and forth a lot too. It also makes it harder to go in reverse since you have to pull both of the laterals back while under spring tension.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for your time and the info. I think I'll leave the springs off.
    Jon.

I have never removed mine, but I can see one problem for me at least. I put my machine in reverse while parked on hills to keep the transmission brakes on as well as the parking brake.

Quote Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
    I have never removed mine, but I can see one problem for me at least. I put my machine in reverse while parked on hills to keep the transmission brakes on as well as the parking brake.
    That seems to be the one advantage to keeping the springs on. It is nice to have that feature at times, but for me, it's just so much easier to drive the machine with the springs off.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I agree with Swift, the springs aren't for me, but that is just one side of the coin. They do give you the built in parking brake with the machine in reverse. If you run for long straight stretches at a time, they could lessen fatigue... as you wouldn't have to keep constant forward pressure on the sticks. I have driven with both setups and will get fatigued after a long day with either one. with the springs it is from the extra effort of having to pull back hard enough to overcome the spring pressure. without the springs, I find myself pushing forward harder than I probably need to because I don't want to be constantly slipping bands. Your best bet is probably to try it both ways and see what works best for you. I hadn't driven a machine with the springs in about 3 years and hopped in a friends machine for a trail ride at Ashtabula which had them hooked up. It was a world different, and I can't say that the 20 minutes I spent in the machine was enough to sell me on the concept, but I can see where it has it's merit.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You can split the difference & get a weaker spring. Whipper picked 2 different kinds at the hardware store & installed the ones I preferred on the SS ... per my bi-ceps liking. It does help with fatigue & it's just enough to help keep those laterals forward. I can't trust myself always keeping the sticks forward without them while I'm busy looking at the scenery.

Bridget

+ Reply to Thread