Registering and Licensing an AATV in Ontario

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Registering and Licensing an AATV in Ontario

you think they would handle a Max? My deal through PC Brokers fell through. THey were trying ot ensure it with Dominion, but at the last minute Dominion said no. Funny, that. Another broker/agent has also told me that Dominion will insure with me as long as they get house and auto. Total increase will be $900 over what i pay now for just house and auto. Still, not many other options left. I do have a lead through a third broker but total cost per year will be $1700 more than at present. Screw them; I'm going out to the camp for the weekend. I tried TD at the outset...agent told me no amphibious and definitely not something called a Max, which they had no clue what the heck that was. BUt i will try them again.....Can i ask, Guy, how much roughly?

let me tell you something guy vapeur,ive been insured with primmum for years.last fall when i called them to insure my argo there was a bit of a runaround,had to insure it as a responce.no big deal i thought,one week later they phone and tell me that the argo insurance will be cancelled in one week.a mistake was made and they do not insure amphibious vehicles damn was i pissed.they even sent me a registered letter to the same effect.if youin fact got insurance through them that great,i will have to call them up and rattle the cage a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by guyvapeur View Post
    Let it be known that effective immediately, my 8 wheel argo is insured in the Provnce of Ontario.

I have over the last two weeks been in contact with just about everyone in the insurance industry. From Thunder Bay to Toronto the answer was basically the same.

A) Yes we will insure..... $900. a year and you can not leave your yard.
    B) Yes we will insure..... but we want the house, the car, the truck and anything else you can insure..... at a raised premium.
    C) What is an Argo..... No we don"t insure that.

After multiple calls to TDInsurance at tel#1 877 887 8886 I found a supervisor who went through the books with me. TDInsurance and Primmum are one and the same in Ontario. Remember that on the Online insurance quote, TDInsurance lists my Argo and Response as a vehicle they would insure.... She found that in the first book... the Argo... fits the description of an Amphibious vehicle and not insurable. Yet in another book she found that an ATV with amphibious qualities could be insured. No Water Protection is included....they include a disclaimer if the ATV is used on water....

I asked her for a reference number so that other members could connect with TDInsurance. She said that such a number was not available but that if requests are met with negative responses, that a supervisor should be asked for and clarifications made. She said that she would make sure that our concerns are addressed on the floor where the calls are received.

Anyone can access TDInsurance on the internet..... following simple prompts will allow you to enter your Argo specs and get an online quote......

Let me know how you make out.

Guy

Shorty............under $300 for one year.....

Plott Hound..... hear you loud and clear. Somewhere in the paperwork at TDInsurance lies the answer to our dilemmas.... I say ours because they can still jump ship on me and cancel anytime. It scares me to think that someone cancelled a policy....because of amphibious..... Carly....(the nice girl) at TDInsurance said she was sure that the hang up was with amphibious vehicles.... not AATVs like we have. That said someone higher might still argue we can not insure.... then why do they have it on their Online quote site....
    I doubt that they lose any sleep over this matter.
    Rattling their cage may help get the matter resolved once and for all..... then again?
    I can fax Carly with all of our concerns and maybe she can take it to the top for a final answer.
    Guy

sounds good guy,im gonna phone them tomorrow see where the bear pooped in the woods.the original quote i got from them is way cheaper then i am paying now.

thanks for the update.

Insuring Argo

Well..........I called TDInsurance this morning. I confirmed my policy numbers and all. I then tried to get some clarifications as to why some argo owners might be turned down. During this discussion, I was told that I would have the documents soon and that I would have to sign the water waiver and return within 7 days..... failing to do this would result in the cancellation of my policy.....
    The rep told me that every case is done on a one on one basis and that there was little other information that she could give me.

Guy

1230 hrs
    Received the pink card in the mail along with the paper work.

***OPCF-9*** IS THE WAIVER i HAVE TO SIGN AND RETURN...
    My total with fire and theft was just under $300

guy
    Last edited by guyvapeur; 09-26-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: New Info.

Un frigging believable. I've just been offered facility insurance for $678..PLPD, meaning if something happens to the other guy, we're good. my damages, my problems. Not good, but best offer on the table. They did tell me they were close with another company for regualr insurance for the company turned it down at the last minute because it was an unknown machine - i.e. a Max. I will call TD again...they turned me down fast and hard last time, but hey, nothing to lose.

Can't just be max owners that have this problem...MuskOx Attex, etc. Argo is the most recognizable but there are others. Getting frustrated enough to give up the ghost and go with four wheelers. I find that very distasteful, considering how many of them I have pulled out over the years.

another option might be to check out OFAH.they offer insurance to their members.

finally bit the bullet and took the facility insurance. $670. If my home and auto go up next year, then i will shop around again. But for now, this is the cheapest option: about $300 less than going with a new insurer for house, auto and Max. But at least now i'm ready for moose season!

PLOTT HOUND - i tried OFAH. Again, use AATV's are not considered 'normal' and so not eligible. Now, don'tcha just feel special?!?!?

Insurance Ontario Argo

I contacted Angler and Hunter Insurance in Sudbury today. They can be contacted at 705-669-0300. After some discussion, the agent/broker stated the following.

That they do insure 6 and 8 wheel ATVs.
    That they limit the cc for the engiine at 800 cc.
    They do not insure 2 and 3 wheel ATVs.
    They have Argo listed in their manual. (Including Avenger. Bigfoot and Response)
    They accept the 7 digit serial numbers from the older machines.
    That they insure with **NOVEX**
    That they charge a 25% surcharge for a stand alone ATV policy.
    They they give a 12% discount to Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.
    That a quick quote on my 2000 Argo Response with 570 cc engine would be $211. a year.
    I could not get any info on a Max.... ( PS: I know nothing about the machines and could not give any details to her.)
    That they are one and the same as BrokerLinks.
    That is it..............................
    Hope someone can benefit fromt he above info.
    Guy

My broker uses Dominion Insurance for my 08 Avenger, believe it was in the $380 range, "it's just like a atv he said"
    I brought it in from the US, was a real pain trying to get it plated here (only had the NVIS and bill of sale, No Title) , customs believed it needed a RIV and stamped the FORM 1 once, RIV says Side by Side utv's and amphibious vehicles are exempt, Licence burrow says I needed 2 stamps and that Canadian Tire will do the 2nd stamp, Canadian tire says it was exempt and they can't stamp it, returned to the licence burrow and they said call customs, customs says I need to bring it back to the border and they will try to figure a way to give it the RIV exempt stamp. Was ready to give up till a friend told me to go to a different licence burrow in the next town cause the lady was very helpful there, showed her what I had and she made a call to her friend, had my plate in 10min.

+ Reply to Thread