New guy with a new old (94) max 4.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a new old (94) max 4.

New guy with a new old (94) max 4.

I bought a max 4 a few weeks ago and have a question about the t-20. The thing ran perfect the first few days although I had to rock it to change from forward to reverse. Now it will not come out of forward. I have ordered new dimond shifters and will install them this week. My question is do you all think the shifters are the problem or could it be something more? One shifter is worn pretty bad but the other was in pretty good shape.

All comments are welcome!

Check the linkage connecting to the shifters. It can sometimes get bent at a bad angle that doesn't allow it to push the diamond shifters back. Instead, you push against them. To check to see if that's the problem, use a screwdriver to gently pry the diamond shifters back a little and then try shifting with the shifter. If that works then start looking at the linkage and the angle that it is pushing against the diamond shifters.

By the way, welcome to the site!

Rocking the machine back and forth is just what you have to do to shift machines with the T-20 transmission. It's a bulletproof transmission though. The Max IV is slightly more difficult to shift compared to the Max II because of all the extra length and amount of linkages on the IV. The worn shifters could very much be the problem, even if only one is worn it'll cause the other side to act up.

Welcome aboard!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the quick response Mike, and the welcome. Even after I unhooked the linkage from the t-20 it was hard to shift by hand. As a matter of fact the left side I could not shift by hand. The right side would shift with a good amount of force. The right side had the greatest amount of ware on the shifter. I'm hoping new shifters and an adjustment of the bands will do the trick.

By the way the only thing I did to the t-20 was check and add fluid to it. It only took an ounce or two.

Yeah, Jeff is right, you do have to either rock the machine back and forth or rev the motor slightly and then rock the shifter back and forth to get the gears to align since there is no synchronization in the T20. But it sounds like you are on the right track. Try the new shifters and see how they do.

Thanks for the response and the welcome jpswif1. I hope the new shifters will do the trick. My family and I have already had a ton of fun in the max and we are looking for much more when she is back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by jstout9 View Post
    I'm hoping new shifters and an adjustment of the bands will do the trick.

By the way the only thing I did to the t-20 was check and add fluid to it. It only took an ounce or two.
    If it was stearing ok leave the band adjustment alone for now. They have nothing to do with shifting from forward to neutral, to reverse. Even when shifting by hand a little rocking helps. It should not be a hard shift in. If it is hard, rock it untill its easy and it will just slip into place. If you force the shift, you can grind and mushroom gears in the t-20.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I tried everything. rocking, rolling, reving, it will not come out of forward. I'll put the shifters in in the morning or tuesday and let you all know.

@drew. It was/is steering fine, except left was not as good as right. I found the center tire on the left is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by jstout9 View Post
    One shifter is worn pretty bad but the other was in pretty good shape.
    Are you talking about the external parts of the shifter, or did you actually pull the shifter and look at shift pin on the bottom? The shift pins can become flat-sided if the shifter doesn't engage fully. The pin ends up riding against the shift-collar and wears a flat-side in it. The flat side won't roll as easily (obviously) when you try to shift, and eventually can lead to real shifting problems.

If you haven't looked at the pins themselves, you may be able to get away with just pulling the old ones out and replacing them. As other's have said, double check all your linkage, and lubricate it judiciously...

+ Reply to Thread