flipping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flipping

flipping

can max 6 wheelers flip in water.

sears wheels up.jpgNo! lol

And the rest of the story:
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trail...july-11th.html

edit; NEVER wear seatbelts in the water

ANYTHING can happen. there is always the potential to hit an unseen underwater stump just wrong, or hit an embankment wrong and capsize the machine. Buggyman hit the #1 rule. seatbelts come off before the machine hits the water.

That being said, these machines are pretty darn stable when floating. this is me in my wife's machine acting stupid Swimming - Amphibious ATV Pictures I've heard a lot of people talk about roll cages making the machines too top heavy in water... the cage on that machine is no featherweight (my wife and son ride under it... gotta be stout). When that shot was taken, I was actually trying to see how far I could push the machine by shifting body weight side to side and it never felt unstable (NOTE: I had the bilge pump running and was only in about 4' of water 20' from shore)

The point remains... ANYTHING can happen. about 5 years ago there was a huge pileup on the freeway just south of me when a boat ended up in the south bound lane... from the lake.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've taken every one of my machines (EDIT: not GeoJem's racer, yet...) in the water, and every single machine is different. My Attex six wheel machines are pretty darn stable, the RIM is pretty stable... and the Hustler 980; well, let's just say you sit nice and square in the seat and don't do a whole heck of a lot of moving around.
    The Attex tank trainer is like taking a johnboat out on nice calm lake. I think I might be able to use it as a dive-platform.

I guess my point, is that machines tend to behave quite a bit differently in the water from a stability standpoint. I remember at Ledges (2009?) when some folks trekked across the lake on a night ride. I don't remember the exact circumstances (anybody can chime in with the details), but the whole deal went south quick. A machine started to sink for whatever reason, and the people weren't wearing PFDs. The machine went down fast, and one of the people almost drowned. I was out in Big 5 going *around* the lake, and remember sitting on the trail with Mark M., watching them try to resuscitate one of the ladies that went down.

No seat belts.
    PFDs are always a good idea.
    Keep drain plugs in.
    A bilge pump is always a good idea.
    Until you're absolutely confident on what your machine's limits are in the water, no funny stuff.

A lot of this is just "water safety", but it encompassess the tipping aspect.

I'll chime in on this one regarding water exercises. The specifics I recall from the Ledges incident of 2009 are as follows.
    1. A 6 wheel Argo with cage.
    2. 2 adults front seat,2 teens in rear of unit(on the small side seats)
    3. At some time during crossing teens notice water entering machine via the "cutout" area for outboard motor on the back of Argos.
    4. The two decide to quickly move fwd to get the back of the mach above water.
    5. The shift of weight,from the passengers combined with the accumulated water already in the tub,to the nose of the machine was enough to cause a very hasty summersault. I did not witness this but can only imagine how abruptly it happened.

The cage on my Argo isn't exactly "lightweight". The added "top heaviness" is somewhat noticeable but in my opinion does not raise reasons of concern.
    Again,be cautious and test the "limits" in as much a "controlled" environment as can be provided.

Joe.

Have had the 06 Avenger in the lake several times with the 9.9 Mariner outboard on it. Is quiet a stable platform. It will handle the wakes from boats and such just fine....underwater obstacles are always a threat. The machine will try and ride up the obstacle and pitch the machine. Immediately get off the gas and back down. I was a little jittery at first but the machine proved it's stability. No i do not get out in what i call the big water, Argo v/s boat: Bad combo...Argo looses. I generally stay within 20 to 30 feet of the shore as not to be a problem. Ponds are no problems. With the 8x8 i will back into the water and let the rear of the machine raise up before i proceed, watch your pitch angle leaving the pond, find a good spot: This should be done prior to entry. The HMS ROGERS went down a year or so at Busco by the stern, water went over the vent holes and the rest was bad. Always when in a Pond or lake with children use PFDs and no seat belts in water. 6 wheelers and 8 wheelers may handle a little different in the water, do some testing in shallow water first.

+ Reply to Thread