Soon to be new owner of a Max 2

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soon to be new owner of a Max 2

Haven't been able to get out there to remove the chains and frankly wanted to wai til I was able to get the body off and get some close detail. Priority one is to stop the rot. Powerwashed most of the rust scale off and need to get some neutralizer on there. After I get that roll bar off and the body I can get the lay of the land and get busy really cleaning everything up in case it all needs to come out. Do you have any clue where I might be able to find a cross reference for a replacement belt? I tried Dayco website and Al's Snowmobile to no avail. Would Motion Industries have all the bearings I will need as I have one of those real close to me?

That serial number is probably a 1995 model.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Had to go out to check the gear selector situation. I can push the machine forward and back. The trans lever is in the lower position and when I push the machine the trans shaft spins so I do not think it is locked up. Tried moving the trans selector from its present position but it is firmly stuck and I didn't want to really torque on it til I got the body off to see if there is some type of a linkage issue etc. If the trans isn't locked up is there at least some hope? Should I try a little gentle persuasion?

Sounds like the shifters are just rusted to the case. It is common to have rust/corrosion just where they enter the case, under the diamond shaped lever. Clean that out real good and oil it up. Work it easy and remove them from the case to clean them up. Just remove the top plates holding them down and they'll pull right out.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

I pulled the two plates that support the shifters to no avail. I tried prying a bit on them and could get them to move a little. Afraid of really tearing up something. Can I pull the shifters from the t-20 and if I do will it screw up any seals / orings etc? Can I just pry them out of the case? I used a vac pump and was able to get almost all the fluid out of the T-20. GREAT NEWS! it was all clean / no water in the trans. Gotta get those shifters moving. do I put a bit of PB Blaster / pentrating oil where the shifter meets the case? All help and input is much appreciated.

You can just pull the diamond shifters up and out. They just pop right in and out and there's an O-ring to seal them. Just keep gradually working them back and forth and use that penetrating oil like you've been doing. Two unlike metals can corrode and then stick together, like an aluminum wheel on a car against the steel brake rotor.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

There could be some snap rings holding the shifters in. Check for those first. I'm not sure which year models used those though?

Thanks for the advice. It's a 1994 model according to RI. I was able to free up the shifters and got them out, cleaned lubed and put back in. Really smooth now.
    Good engagement. Ive got to try and find a vented plug for my T-20.

Thankfully the thing was blocked and did not let ANY water in despite having been submerged for so long. Any ideas where to go to get one of these?

Also, I was going to replace my tensioner spring clips as the others are all broken but I thought better of it and am going to fashion some home made tensioners using the old mounts and attaching some of that electrical grid track that is used in commercial applications. The nuts are captured in the track and adjust perfectly up and down with only a single tool. First however I want to find a rod / cylinder of teflon / PTFE that I can cut down and slip over a 5/16 bolt with bushing and washers welded to it. I know it will work fine but having trouble locating the PTFE / Teflon in anything thicker (wall) than 1/8" I figure 3/8 would be optimal. Anyone have a source or ideas?

+ Reply to Thread