the famous red spring for the pulley

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the famous red spring for the pulley

the famous red spring for the pulley

well... as a warning to other people, it's simple but just not an evening job in a MAX IV.

after removing the engine/wires/cradle then the T-20/shifting rods/chains/adjusters, I got to the pulley.

So If you are planning to change the pulley spring in your Max IV, consider doing full maintenance/dual shifter/t20 oil change/ or other upgrades at the same time as your AATV tub will be empty by the time you get to the pulley.

I'm doing the red spring, the dual shifters and the shimmed clutch spring at the same time, cleaning and greasing while reassembling the beast.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Just a couple of points to change the spring.
    Push the cam down to remove the snap ring and deburr the snap ring groove. The cam is under tension but you need to pull the cam off with a puller. The easiest way to pull it off is to drill and tap the 3 pilot holes on the face of the cam and use a steering wheel puller with 3 small studs. Retain the puller with a threaded rod through the clutch and have a nut on both sides of the puller. pull the cam off by evenly pulling up the three smaller cam studs. The movable sheave will unwind at least one cam or 1/3 a revolution. you can index the sheave with a magic marker if you want prior to pulling the cam.
    Assembly is reverse.
    Its recommended to change the plastic cam followers. I always change the snap ring, used ones tend to work themselves off and your clutch falls apart on the trail.

Thank you for the tips.

the clutch is a 2008 with less than 50 hours on it. I shouldn't have problem with it and the cam followers are like new !
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

I bought a new driven and it came with a Green spring, what is so special about this Red spring? Is it better than my green one?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

The red spring is stiffer, so it keeps you in a lower gear range through a wider range of engine RPMs. I've also read from some 6x6World members that it also cuts a few MPH off your top speed as well. The red spring would be great for a machine turning big tires or tracks in heavy mud or snow, towing heavy loads, or maneuvering in very tight trail situations. It's also good if you have a lower horsepower engine in a larger machine because the engine doesn't have to work as hard because it keeps the gearing lower as I previously mentioned.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

So would it be worth the trouble to get one and install it when I get my 950 back together? I'm putting in a 20 HP Kohler that I hope to hop up to about 30 HP, and I'll probably be running 25" Vampires.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

The red spring is stiffer, meaning it has a slower advance rate giving more low end power.

I walked into a coversation at Ashtabula this year about the different colors and the the order from soft to stiff. I should have paid more attention.....I'm gonna blame it on the adult beverages. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I promise to be sober this time.

I bought a new red spring aswell.. I will have a 980 with 950 gearing and a 23hp vanguard for power turning 25" avenger tires. Do I really need the red spring or should I be ok with the stock spring?

Go with the red spring and you will never lack low end grunt and pulling power. A Hustler 980 as you describe it will be a beast with the red spring. Its one of the easiest and most beneficial changes you can make. You will loose some top speed however, my Max 2 with an 18hp Briggs went from 24 mph top speed to 20mph. But its a completely more capable machine now. In my opinion 20mph is fast enough for these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    So would it be worth the trouble to get one and install it when I get my 950 back together? I'm putting in a 20 HP Kohler that I hope to hop up to about 30 HP, and I'll probably be running 25" Vampires.
    If you're going to be putting 25" tires on, the taller tires will make your gearing higher....taller tires equals higher gearing, especially when the 25's are 4 inches taller than the stock 21" Goodyear Rawhides that came on the 950 from the factory. I think a red spring would be beneficial for your application because it would make those 25's easier to turn and keep your machine in a lower gear range long to compensate for the higher gearing of taller tires. You can get the springs directly from Recreatives. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread