Really cool and EASY rust removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Really cool and EASY rust removal

Really cool and EASY rust removal

My 1994 MaxII had been immersed in water for an extended period of time. When I found it there was water about up to the top of the t-20.

All the chains, sprockets frame etc were well rusted. I was thinking of using naval jelly or even sanding a lot of the rust away then did a search for rust removal. I ended up trying electrolysis. It was the greatest thing EVER!

I placed 4 pcs of 1/4' rebar in the 4 corners of the tub and insulated the bottom portion with a small piece of 1/2" tubing to keep the rebar from directly touching the frame. Meanwhile I connected the rebar pieces and attached a small battery charger on 12v 1.5 amps positive clamp to the rebar. I then connected the negative to the frame after cleaning off a spot. Filled the tub again and put in about 1/2 box of baking soda and turned on the charger.

I left the charger going for 3 days, shut her down, drained the tub and powerwashed everything. The electrolysis caused all the rust scale and rust to flake off and left me with clean (although pitted due to the rust) metal. I can't believe how clean everything turned out.

I am now drying it all up and going to apply a rust neutralizer. I was so excited and wanted to share this with everyone as it seemed to work wonders. When everything is clean, dry and neutralized I can then start on removing axles to check out bearings etc.

Question: While cleaning up the tub I found some very thin pieces of metal. They appear to be broken in half length-wise and are curved slightly. At the "factory end" there is a tang of about 1/8" bent 90 degrees the full width. Each piece is about 1 1/2" long. They appear to be of a spring-type steel.

I read something in one of the forum entries about the chain adjusters having some type of spring on them but mine have nothing behind them. Now that I have the chains out the adjusters move quite freely. I have been unable to find pictures of these springs if that is what these are.

Does anyone have any idea fo whether these are in fact supposed to be springs of some sort for the adjusters? If so can someone point me to a picture of the assembly or post one so I can get a better understanding of how they work? Thank you for any help or advice.

The Max II uses a ratchet with tooth and groove style chain tensioner. It doesn't really work all that well and the original early Max II idler sprocket chain adjuster system is ten million times better. Anyway, those pieces you speak of provide the spring tension to keep the teeth of the tensioner in the appropriate groove.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread