installing a 300 watt heater in MAX IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: installing a 300 watt heater in MAX IV

installing a 300 watt heater in MAX IV

hi folks, got a question.........

I have a 2005 Max IV 950T (27hp kawasaki engine)what is the best way to wire my 12vdc heater (has its own on-off switch built in), Is it better to wire it to the battery directly or to the engine ?...........everyones input is greatley appreciated

300w is a significant load (25 amps) I'd go directly to the battery and include a 30a fuse.

Is the 27 hp motor liquid cooled? if so too bad you couldnt plumb into the water line and use a small heater core from a car for heat.

Where did you find a 12v heater at? I like the idea
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

I use a 12volt bildge fan. Blows heat from. Engine into the cab through the. Upper body tunnel. On the driver side. Check. For exhaust. Leaks.

The draw of the dc heater is more than the charging system puts out. If you are usingthe heaterand headlights the battery will go dead. I've installed auxiliary heaters in the liquid cooled IVs. Under the back seat in front of the battery with opening
    in rear floorpan.

so will a bigger battery solve the problem ?.............do I wire it directly to the engine ? I dont see an alternator
    what is a good fix for this problem ???

thanx

The 27 hp Kawasaki has an internal alternator rated at 20 amps.Any tme you draw more than the output the battery discharges. a bigger battery will last longer but at about 10 volts it wont start the engine again and you walk home. Argo offeres a belt driven alternator to carry accessories. I havent tried to install one on the MAX. A bilge blower or liquid fed heater draw only about 5 amps and deliver a lot of heat. Hope this is some help.

I think the bilge blower and dryer tube concept is the best way to go. They pull very few amps and an air cooled motor will generate enough heat to keep frost bite away.
    The liquid fed technique would also work, but I live by the K.I.S.S. concept (keep it simple stupid) and the blower and hose thing is a lot less effort to install and maintain than a liquid heater. Plus if there is a leak and coolant loss out in the boonies, guess what?

+ Reply to Thread