New Max IV owner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Max IV owner

New Max IV owner

New member here with a few questions. First off, not new to owning a Max as i bought a II new in 96 but sold it several years ago. Thru some horse trading i have aquired a 96 Max IV.
    It was owned by an elderly gentleman and used for taking him out deer hunting for a few years until the land was sold. Came with a set of tracks that were on the machine a grand total of 1 time. Guess my first question is what is this thing worth? 18hp Vangaurd,Chains,spockets and bearings are all good. Doesnt look as if it had many hours on it.
    Secondly, it has been sitting for about 5-6 years. Going thru the fuel system right now. Will change the oil next. What oil do you recommend? Live in Northwestern Illinois so it will see extreme temps both ways.
    As i get into this machine more i'm sure i'll have more questions. Sure wish there was a forum like this when i owned my first one.
    Thanks............Marc

Hard to say on what it's worth in this economy. It boils down to whatever the market will bear at the time. Rough guess with the tracks- $4- $6 grand and location has alot to do with it.
    Change fluid in the T-20 tranny and I prefer mobile1 in the engine.

I just saw a 02 maxIV sell on ebay...26" tires, 25HP, less than 50 hrs $4600
    MAX IV SIX WHEEL AMPHIBIOUS ATV | eBay
    Maybe the economy is reducing the prices

A '96 Max IV has a shorter passenger compartment (it was re-designed in '99, I think), round headlights, non-splined axles, non-"O"ring chains, and the tracks will be old-style multi-piece rubber jobs. Even in great shape with low hours it, it's almost certainly gonna need some dedicated wrenching time to get it running strong & reliably. My top offer for an 18hp Max IV of that vintage would be $3500 - $4000, including the tracks. I'd offer $2500 - $3000 and negotiate from there. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. Like i said i got this thru some trading for an engine so i have very little invested in it. Went thru and change all the fluids, greased and lubed everything and just a general clean up and it runs like a top. Will play with it for a while and put it on the market. Really wanting to put the tracks on and see how it does with them. I really dont have much use for it. Thats why i got rid of my II a few years back.

+ Reply to Thread