Max Serial Number

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max Serial Number

Max Serial Number

Is there a way to tell what year my max 2 is if the ID tag on the driving area isn't there? I was told it is supposed to be on the left side of the upper half of the body, next to where the driver would sit. I have 4 rivets but no tag. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks

There have been a few changes made through the years, and it may be possible to narrow down a year range. Very early ones did not have a support tube in the frame, side to side, near the axlesIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0693.jpg
    On the new models this round tube is now square.
    What type engine does your have? 2 or 4 stroke?
    There were also changes in the engine cover. These tops are early models with a tiny engine cover. In the 90's they had a large cover, and the current tops have a cover about 12" square.
    Some transmissions also had a serial #, but I don't know if you can get the year from that.
    I'm wondering why your plate is missing. Are your rivets tight? If they are, I'm guessing they were drilled out and replaced after the plate was removed.
    Attached Images

Ill have to check tonight about the support tube. I'm thinking it does have a support tube. It has an 18hp vanguard 4stroke on it. I don't think its original, not sure though. The exhaust was ran out of the passenger side out of the tub (lower half of machine) right above the rear driver side tire. Not sure if that tells you anything. There is one rivet still there where the plate was. There are 4 holes....with one rivet filling one of the holes. Not sure why the plate would be removed. I do not have 2 bearings per axle. Does that tell you anything? I just have the single bearing on the axle where it goes through the body. Thats another issue I have. Its the single bearing system and I have play in that bearing and also have play where axle connects to the frame. Is there a way to get rid of the play where it connects to the frame? I can replace the one bearing but not sure what to do about the other end. Thanks for your time

Clean the top of the frame rail that crosses in front of the battery. I've found the serial# stamped on top of max IIs until the late 70s. Very small stamping hard to read at times. Good luck

Your inner axle bearing is actually a bronze bushing. Bushings are very durable, but hard to get fresh grease to it. Consider drilling/tapping the axle for a grease zerk. The bronze bushings you need are 3/4" ID 1" OD and 1" long They cost $2.50-$5 each depending on where you get them. Another problem when replacing them is the tight fit on the axle often will shrink the bushing ID, and they will need to be drilled back out to 3/4"
    As far as the year...It is over 10 yrs old...with the large motor cover probably 10-22 yo.....with the small cover, I beleive 89 was the last year for the tecumseh motor, so 22+.

+ Reply to Thread