homemade plow for Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: homemade plow for Max II

homemade plow for Max II

hey all, I got the axle on my max replaced(still waiting on some chain though, so its five wheel drive right now)

I decided to build a plow for it, my wife told me the max could only stay in our driveway if I could clear snow with it.

I built the plow lightweight on purpose, so if something is going to break it will be the plow and not the max.

I got a second hand 30 gallon drum and cut it up, bolted it together, and mounted it to a 1-1/4 angle iron frame.

the mounts are attached to the front bearing bolts, and the winch lifts and lowers the plow.

we don't have much snow right now, but I cleared the sidewalk out front with no trouble, and cleaned up the berm the city put across the driveway.

-Owen

Do you have any upclose pictures of how you mounted it to the body?

I can take a few later when I get home.

its snowing right now, so I might be able to get some action shots then too!

-Owen

man owen that is a bad a$$ idea. I am going to have to keep my eye out for the stuff to do that. it would be one more reason for the wife to allow aatvs around . In the deep snow, does it float at all? I think you might want to add some "pins" that go down to help the blade "float" a little. I would hate to see you moving fast and whack something in the snow, like a concrete joint in the drive way, and the blade not bounce over it and the wife laugh (as mine would) at the crumpled plow frame. terrific idea though!!!

That is a cool idea! I like the light weight idea too. One thing I might add is it could use some cross braces to strengthen it from side loads like if you turn. Maybe add an X looking support in between the arms of the plow. Looks great though. Good Job!

the frame has a cross brace on one side(ran out of angle to do the second side) but it seems really stable with just one, adding a second would hinder its ability to flex(one side higher than the other) so I will leave it for now.

I dont know how it will do with deep snow yet, we just got our second snow of the year today, so we only have a few inches.

as for the frame breaking, that is exactly what I want it to do if it catches something(rather have to rebuild the plow than the Max) and I wanted to make it as simple, and therefore cheap, as I could. making it spring loaded like a real plow would have added alot of complexity(cost)

I might make a pair of skid pads like real plows have to hold the blade of the plow 1/4 inch off the ground(maybe a pair of tiny skis)

I spent $60 on the whole thing, 20 on the drum, and $40 on steel and fasteners.

the snow curls on the blade really well, so if I keep my speed up it will push lots of snow.

-Owen

Quote Originally Posted by truckinwagen View Post
    the frame has a cross brace on one side(ran out of angle to do the second side) but it seems really stable with just one, adding a second would hinder its ability to flex(one side higher than the other) so I will leave it for now......
    -Owen
    Ok I see it know. I thought that went down, didnt see it went towards the center. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some big piles of snow! In your picture though, not here. lol

I am pretty stoked, I have some friends driveways to plow too, so this thing will get lots of exercise.

just plowed!

there was about an inch of fresh snow on the ground, and my plow had no issues clearing the driveway, as well as a very long section of sidewalk(about two blocks)

I hit a few things and the plastic of the plow has enough flex that it bent and hopped before the frame got over stressed.

I ran into a berm and it twisted the plastic pretty good, but it came back into shape when I reversed out of it.
    I will have to be careful not to run into berms really hard, but it didn't have any issue pilling up the snow I cleared.

its too dark for pics now, but I will get some in the morning(I will probably have to do some more plowing by then, supposed to get several inches tonight - oh darn!)

all in all, I am very pleased considering it cost me very little, and only took a couple hours to build.

-Owen

my hat is off to you sir, it worked just like you wanted it to. it takes a special breed of guys to think of something that cheap and have it work so darn well. WELL DONE.

+ Reply to Thread