battery won't stay charged

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: battery won't stay charged

battery won't stay charged

1991 Max IV when i am running, I get a 14volt reading at the battery. Then I turn it off and it drops to 11.99volts. how can I trace where the the voltage is draining out? The battery is newer and if I charge it and let sit on the bench it won't drop below 12.12v so it is not the battery.

So you have any assories hooked up to your max( light bar, taillight,fan,sound system) ??

If you have a test light you can turn the key off & then pull the fuses one at a time. When you pull the fuse put your testlight lin line where the fuse was. Ground to one fuse contact & probe to the other. If the test light doesn't come on there is no drain in that circuit. Replace the fuse & do the same with the next circuit. You should find ont that lights the test light dimly... That circuit is the culprit. Start a visual search of that circuit at that point...

no

One more thought...
    If you leave it alone for a few days does the voltmeter still say 11.99? If so does the machine still start? There is always the possibility that the voltmeter is calibrated a little off... You are only talking about a difference of .13 volts. That's only a difference of 1% between 2 instruments if you are using the voltmeter in your machine for one reading and a different meter for the bench.

only one main fuse

I've been using a battery tender that I got on sale, so far I'm very impressed. Mine looses charge when the temp drops below -10C/ or simple time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissteve View Post
    1991 Max IV when i am running, I get a 14volt reading at the battery. Then I turn it off and it drops to 11.99volts. how can I trace where the the voltage is draining out? The battery is newer and if I charge it and let sit on the bench it won't drop below 12.12v so it is not the battery.
    Opps. didn't read far enough the first time to see you already bench tested the battery

The voltmeter needs to be keyed unlike an ammeter.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

if you charge it up what is the voltage right after charging, sitting on the bench it should be higher than 12 volts after a fresh charge.Try using a amp meter to see if there is a drain on the battery when just sitting in the machine. AS some one else pointed out the diff between 12.12 and 11.9 is not a lot off difference
    Last edited by Aahicnow; 03-02-2016 at 09:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread