Briggs swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Briggs swap

Briggs swap

I would like to swap my 20 hp Kohler with a Briggs vanguard maybe a 23 hp or bigger if they make it .In my Buffalo truck. The 20hp doesn't have a pull start and some times you may need it if you are really off the beaten path . where do you get such a engine other than Northern hyd.,just want to shop for the best price.

fixer2, the 23 hp is a nice engine, but does not come with a pull start. Most Briggs engines over 23 hp don't have pull starts. Also try not to buy an engine from Northern H. I did and when I tried getting customer service to help me with an issue, and 18 phone calls later (Literally 18 phone calls) finally getting thru to a human - they were TERRIBLE and tried NOT to help with all their might. They made me so mad I vowed never to buy anything from them again. They had every excuse in the book and when you try calling customer service you get the dam--d recording and there is no way to get to a human being. They keep telling you to go thru this certain number (customer service #) and it doesn't get you anywhere except to more recordings about calling you local service centers. The local Northern H. service center told me they couldn't help me because I started it once and they would NOT replace the engine because it had gas run thru it. Holy Crap, I spent 1500.00 dollars and was very disappointed with Northern. Find another dealer who sales Briggs and start with them.
    This is only my opinion. You may have better luck with them. I'm just giving a heads up with what I went thru.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

Many Briggs 14-23HP Vanguard engine will have a pull starter, although there are a few models that might not. I've noticed some 23HP Vanguards that are on ebay don't, but if you buy an engine that doesn't all you have to do is buy one off ebay from any 14-23HP Vanguard and the cup that bolts on the flywheel and you're all set. I'd highly recommend Small Engine Warehouse or Tulsa Engine Warehouse.......both great places to deal with. I too, much prefer the Briggs Vanguards over the Kohler Commands. Here's a few tips for you:

Sell the Kohler here on the classifieds section to offset the cost of the 23HP Briggs.
    Get a 23HP Vanguard with the pull starter and 1" keyed shaft.
    Get the correct little governor spring from Recreatives Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 (it's only a few bucks and easy to swap).
    Get a muffler from one of those places for the Briggs, I got one from Small Engine Warehouse for my Vanguard swap in my Attex Lil Truck and it fit perfect.
    BS Muffler 33 Left Muffler Fits 21 23hp Briggs Vanguard Engines BS Muffler 33 | eBay

386447-3079

BS-692102

Small Engine Warehouse also has these engines on their ebay store so you can compare them to find out what will be the lowest price option for you. Hope this helps!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

On the other side of the coin, the Kohler has hydraulic valve adjustment that adjusts automatically. The B&S will have to have the valves adjusted manually every 100 hours or so, and its a pain to do inside an engine bay, maybe not so bad on a Max4 where the engine sits high and is in the open. I've looked at several Buffs over the years, and I'd stick with the Kohler myself. I've got one in a Max2, and another in a Max4, and they are stout little engines that just go and go. The 23 B&S that I have in an Argo tends to overheat when its worked hard.

I purchased a 23 hp briggs from equipatron this spring for just under $1500. It came with a pull start, which I was looking for. Paid a little more for the recoil start, but nice to have that option.

+ Reply to Thread