Snowmobile motors?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snowmobile motors?

Snowmobile motors?

Since we seem to share clutch/belts, why not a motor too?

Rotax Engine Specifications

Not sure how 6800rpms would work tho... 503's seem to be common.
    Last edited by mrarmyant; 04-13-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Hi Mr.

The old machines had/have snowmobile engines powering them. HydroMike is using the very engine you speak of. My machines have JLOs.
    Banned

That used to be the norm

Snowmobile motors are commonly used and you can pick them up cheap .

I have picked up sleds for around $100 with good motors and clutches .
    Maybe no track or seat but you do not need that.

If you look at the older machines they are all 2 cycle snowmobile engines

AATV with a Sled engine

Disadvantages of a sled engine are

Exhaust style;
    this has to be done in a way that back pressure keeps unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber . You might be able to reuse the pipe that came with the sled but it is a funky weird shape and may keep too much heat in the tub area. If you go with a straight un tapped pipe it will use tons of fuel if it runs at all

Gas efficacy;
    The older Sleds use allot of fuel and also have a high oil fuel ratio .

High RPM clutch engaging;
    Slow and controlled driving is difficult compared to a 4 stroke Briggs

Most sleds do not have electric start but I would not miss that I do not care for that option it just adds weight
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 04-14-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

My Attex is currently powered by a KEC 440, it came out of a John Deere snow mobile. It is electric and pull starter, it's a screamer, but like Robio said they take off at a little higher rpm. It's sort of all or nothing, well almost, 4 stroke motors are easier on the slow trailsor wading through mud. But there's nothing like a full tilt 2 stroke. And then there's the 2 stroke oil, oh sorry.
    I guess it depends on what your going to do with your 6x6.
    Bruce

Thumbs down You used a John Deer snowmobile motor?

Quote Originally Posted by hdble View Post
    My Attex is currently powered by a KEC 440, it came out of a John Deere snow mobile.:
    You know Hdble if I told the sled heads around me that you used John deer snowmobile for parts on an AATV and didn’t restore that sled, they would cry !

The John Deer snowmobiles are rare machines around us.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

The way I figure it my MaxII will run at half to full throttle for about 45 minutes on a gallon. It also seems very well mannered when it comes to just slowly cruisin around. With the smokeless synthetic its hard to tell its a oil burner at op.temp. And as far as the exhaust system goes,I used a "Y" pipe off of a snojet then a 60 degree bend off of a 70 panther,then a 45 degree off of a 72 yamaha 433 GP,then to the stock 90 and outside muff under the left rear skirt. It has the 440 Kohler w/the Tillotson HD and seems to perform well in all instances.
    Gunnar

+ Reply to Thread