First full amphibious ride! A little scary but got better and then I took on water

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First full amphibious ride! A little scary but got better and then I took on water

First full amphibious ride! A little scary but got better and then I took on water

I see what folks meant here about the Max IV, it definitely feels unstable at first but then I got used to it and it seemed much better I also wasn't surprised that it leans left a little due to the engine on the left side. My plan is to mount a battery box on the right side to run a trolling motor eventually so I think that will help, as well as me leanign to the right.

It started to get pretty fun, I didnt go out in the pond very far but I was definitely taking on water. Yes the plugs were in but I purposely left the rear floor out so I culd see leaks and it looks like it was all coming in pretty quickly from the drivers side (left) middle bearing area.

I did grease this one and I think this was the one that the grease just shot out under the indented part of the lip and I did have that wheel off the ground.

What else would I do or check? I don't have a bilge pump yet but absolutely will be mounting one but the amount of water coming in was definitely too much.

This should be a pretty cool pond, its 750 acres and 3-5 feet deep and most 4' so the max should be very fun to sort of bounce over rocks or shallows that are submerged.

There is also a small island in the middle not too far out that maybe I can reach and actually drive onto as well.... Well that is once I am a little more water tight!

Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize these Max IVs lean a bit due to the engine. I've
    yet to put mine in deep enough water to have noticed it.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

It was unfortunate that I could only go out for about 5-10 minutes each run and when the water started touching the chains I cam back. It was VERY cool to be able to drive right up the ramp. This is a pretty unusual pond since it is soooo massive but very unkind to boats with the rockky bottom and shallow. Someone stopped their car when they saw me pull out to ask me what it was.

I wish I had a nickle for every time someone asked me what in the he## is that? or you can read thier lips as they go by saying the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread