why do my chains keep breaking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why do my chains keep breaking

Hybrid View

why do my chains keep breaking

I have an older max 2 with #40 chain-Dont have many problems in snow or mud but when I took the max out today to rescue my old garden tractor that broke a drive belt-First thing that happened was the left rear chain broke-Fine I thought I still have 2 front wheel and 3 wheel drive on my right-next thing that happened the front left chain broke-Ok I see what happened-the t20 transmission top left chain adjusting stud got yanked right through the frame of the transmission-the nut and washer pulled right downward and forced themselves through the tranny bracket-ok I fixed that with a come along while in the field -got the one center lefthand wheel moving so I figure I am good to go with 3 good axles on the right and 1 center axle on the left-I start to tow my tractor and then the center chain on the rh side that drives all the rh axles breaks!!-What a long miserable day-I buy my #40 chain at tractor supple-I have 6 new at101 tires-a honda 13hp engine that runs great-Is the hard dry earth with all the tall brush just 2 much for the #40 chain??

The tires are pretty aggressive for 40 chain. I run a Scrambler with a 12 hp Tec and 40 chain but use Runamucks. No problem with any of the drive components. You can upgrade to 420nz depending on the thickness of the sprockets. its about the strongest 40 series non o-ring chain available. 430 o-ring will also fit. check that your sprockets are in good condition. if the Sprockets are worn out and the chain slips it will break
    Acta non verba

Towing with the 40 chain may be the problem, the Garden tractor (pre compact tractor and not a lawn mower) may also be the problem. If you are trying to tow a 600lb Bolens with out the Diff. unlocked, that would be like towing a 600-700 lb downed tree with a 40 chain machine, which probably would result in said results.
    If the tractor is rolling freely in neutral(pushable) Id say you have a machine driveline issue, if not it is a limitation issue.

Keep us up on this as too much traction is a limitation issue.

Garden tractor was a sears ss12 with weights and tire chains-heavy duty 48 inch deck that I was brush hogging with-the tractor did great for a couple hours I just over did it trying to mow down some saplings-got stuck and the belt broke-The chain problems started before I even made it to the tractor-I have 3 acres that I am trying to clear and my wife and I took the max 2 out last monday and drove around with no problems-I was using the max as a tank to push the 3 foot tall weeds and brush down so that I could use my walk behind brush cutter-I had no problems before in tall unkempt bush and I even slammed into a large tree that was laying in the bush-the max went over it and it was a bumpy ride and nothing broke but today everything was cut cut short and brown-almost like desert so I am thinking without the wheel slippage something had to give- The chain was well lubed with no kinks -I have new bearings but I have a couple axles with inner frame bushings with some play in them-I am kicking my self for replacing all the outer bearings and never even thought about the inner bushings-Maybe I need to upgrade to bigger sprockets or just not use it on dry conditions-kind of bummed about the deal because I wanted to get a lot of use out of the max and I was happy to finally have my own land to make trails etc-If you think stronger chain will work I will give it a try but wondering if I should look for a machine with a stronger drive line-I really like the t20 but the middle axle sprocket drivine the other 2 axles with #40 chain just doesnt seem to durable-of course I have no idea what year I have its probably from the 70's

Def. 70's and probably pre 80, if you can find or make 50 chain sprockets and convert the machine you would be basically the same as pre 97/98. Don't give up unless you find a newer one cheap.

They are fun and nimble.

That tractor supply chain is junk. If you can make it down to the races, you could probably score newer sprockets for your machine. I know I am bringing at least 2 sets of #50 sprockets with me.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I have ran my attex 1st gen machines with nice Goodyear rawhide terra and 16hp honda clone and pulled yanked 6 wheel burnouts, neutral slamming wheelies and any other abuse. Never broke a good new tsc 40# chain. Only chain I ever broke was older rusty ones that you could barely bend. I have broke hubs and shear bolts. Maybe my machine is light enough to get away with it. But I wonder if you have another issue. Make sure your sprockets are lined up. Idk. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread