2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

what would you sell the 18hp for

Quote Originally Posted by ajbowling View Post
    what would you sell the 18hp for
    as of right now I am not going to sell the 18. I am keeping all parts that I took out of the machine as a matched set for future projects. Thank you

Well...... i got enough done yesterday to take her for a quick ride. Only have the upper exhaust duct to put on the upper body. But this is buffalo and was 10degrees when I tested it last night so I was not to concerned about heat haha....

Upon first test I realized machine was no faster with no more power than my 18hp motor. Was kind of dissapointed until I realized that it didn't even seem like motor was making any rpms at all. So pulled it back into my shop and turned the governor screw up a hair more and tested again. BAM POWER. night and day difference but still not where I want it..... I have a Tach to put on it within the next few days so I can safely turn it up more. Anyone know a "SAFE" rpm i should set this at?

I drove the machine straight down the road next to my shop, team clutch is super smooth, but almost too smooth it seems.... shifts out kind of slow but would be great for trail riding. Machine still is not getting to the speeds I was hoping for. Was kind of hoping for super fast shift out and let the 25hp motor do all the pulling?!?!

Drove right up to a 10 ft snow bank and with just a little bit of gas the machine drove straight up it no problem almost going over backwards not expecting such response and torque which is a huge gain over the 18hp with stock clutches.

So as of now my only question being....... Any ideas what could be limiting my top speed? not long enough belt? The belt I am using is intended for people using both cvtech clutches for the primary and secondary. which I am not. Belt does not get to the top of the primary even when I rev it in neutral. maybe 3/8" or 1/2" from top of the sheeves. And I hae about 1 1/2" deflection on the belt. Could this be all governor related? When I wound the governor screw in it started idling to high so I had to back it off some just so there was no constant push on the throttle arm. any ideas out there?

Ya need to see if the belt is dropping all the way down into the driven clutch at full throttle. if it is then the belt is to short and the engine needs to be pushed back a bit or a longer belt. I see the pullin tractor guys runnin' them stock motors @ 5,800 R's with no issues. A tach is the only way to know where Your at.

Gotta remember the new drive clutch is larger in dia and needs more belt to get to the top. Did You buy the drive from Team? did they know what type of engine (RPM's) etc You were puttin' it on.

Nubs thank you. I kind of suspect it needs a longer belt. The belt does get all the way down the secondary but does not make it to the top of the primary at all... I'll get some measurments and call roy at quality drive systems.

As for the team clutch i ended up buying it through cart parts plus due to the free shipping they offered so I did not speak to anyone personally about it. ordered it online.

I do have have a tach for my machine so I will get that installed before I start getting to crazy with the governor

Just a note; the belt being to short on a Max would require engine closer (back argo, forward max).
    Assuming you got that, just clarification.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

towards the trans I should have said

Yes jim I did know what he meant.

+ Reply to Thread