Proper fuse size

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper fuse size

Proper fuse size

Hope this is the right thread for this, couldn't find an electrical thread. I am trying to figure out the proper fuse size for my push button starter and lights I have installed and any future electrical I will add to the machine. I have used 18g wire but am thinking I might have to go heavier.

Here is the data on the lights:
    6. Voltage:9-18V 55W
    7. Amp Draw: 3.2A
    8. Power: 55W 4500lm

Ive read two different things on two different sites, one said fuse the wire not the item and listed an 18g wire as needing approx a 2.5A fuse with a max current of 4.6A. The other listed 18g wire as being able to handle a max current of 15A thus a 7.5A fuse would be recommended.

Can anyone clarify this for me and give me an idea on how to properly select the correct size fuse.
    Thanks

"one said fuse the wire not the item and listed an 18g wire as needing approx a 2.5A" This is correct however,you will get many opinions as to the specific ampacity of a piece of #18 AWG depending on the insulation. I think the 2.5/4.6 max statement is rather conservative but also think 15A comment is pushing it. I think the 7.5A fuse is "about right" for #18 and as mentioned earlier,don't worry about the load,just get the current to it safely. As far as the starter switch,if your just energizing the coil of a solenoid,I think #18 w/ a 5A fuse would suffice. If you really want a lot to think about just google "Allowable ampacities of insulated conductors".

Never seen a green/start wire fused as it is a momentary wire, though safety can't hurt as long as you carry a spare.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Fuses are sized to protect the wiring insulation from melting.

Wiring is sized for allowable voltage drop which depends on point-point length.

Normally a 3% voltage drop is used for most calculations.

18 AWG is 6.39 ohm/1000 ft, so assuming about a 3% loss for 12 VDC, you can run a single wire about 17.6 ft in one direction, or about 8.8 ft when running positive and negative wires which most installation require - I don't like to use the frame for a current carrying conductor.

18 AWG ampacity is about 5 amps but may be lower or higher depending on insulation temperature rating, where its located, and how its bundled - make sure its automotive wire since it will be exposed to oils and such.

I would probably run 16 or 14 AWG and fuse at about 7.5-10 amps since the lamps have a very low cold resistance which creates higher surge currents.
    Ken

For Sale 2000 Max IV

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like some re-wiring going on this weekend. Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread