Max IV ... Reverse sometimes ????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV ... Reverse sometimes ????

Max IV ... Reverse sometimes ????

I have a 2002 Max IV that's giving me fits. It goes in forward great but when I shift in reverse it's like a box of chocolates. Sometimes it goes right in... Sometimes only 1 side and sometimes not at all. I installed an easy shift kit and adjusted the bands using the info. on this site and I'm still having trouble. I pulled the star shifters and checked the pins. There's no deep grooves or missing pieces . After I adjusted the bands I noticed the plungers are not the same on both sides. One side sticks out farther than the other. Would this cause a problem ? Is this common with the Max ? Should I expect it to go right in reverse or should I have to play with it ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is normal to have to rock the machine back and forth just a bit to make the internal parts of the transmission line up for shifting. Give this a try.

Always used to make fun of the boys doing the "shiftin' dance" rocking the machine back & forth to find reverse or forward. Some of the old 9 tooth T20s were even worse for that.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Haven’t tried the rockin thing but I’ll try anything.

The lengths of the linkage and the pivot points in the iv and Buffalo can make shifting a game, rocking helps, if you have springs on the sticks game is amplified.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Sometimes if I am having trouble shifting the tranny, I will give it some gas, engage the clutch and let it slow down. Then I can usually get it in.

**DO NOT TRY TO RAM THE LEVER IN WHILE THE TRANNY IS SPINNING!**
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

To tell if transmission is ok disconnect both rods at the shift lever and shift each into reverse. Then drive in reverse and work it pretty hard. If it comes out of reverse it’s probably got worn teeth in the center of the ring gear drum. I’ve had many that would catch reverse ok but not all the time. Shifting into reverse is a skill that must be learned. Having your band plungers a different length is normal. 4 brand new bands won’t be exactly the same when adjusted properly.

So far it has never come out reverse once in gear.

+ Reply to Thread