Windshield

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windshield

Windshield

Does anyone know what material the MAX II windshields are made of? Mine is badly scratched and I would like to replace it, thinking of using Lexan which is pretty cheap at lows.

thanks
    Larry

Make sure it's Lexan and Not Plexie glass !
    Lexan won't brake and splinter as easy as plexie will .

The last windshield frame I made I had the local auto glass shop cut a piece of safety glass to fit. ( same stuff as a car windshield). Can't remember how much it was, but didn't think it was too terribly high. I don't think you would want to lay it across the hood though as it's not as strong as the tempered glass.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

A friend that I grew up with owns the local glass shop. I had him cut and install a piece of automotive safety glass for my Argo the last time it got broken. Was $194.00. It's broken again,so this time I'm going have them put the little relief in the glass to clear a wiper shaft while their cutting it.

I did make mine out of Plexie glass and have had no problems at all, summer and winter. Its cheaper and hold up good. The key is not to clean them with class cleaner. You clean with jest water.

mcmaster carr sells scratch resistant poly carbonate sheets different sizes. cuts easy with a jigsaw and fine blade. i've made lot's of stuff with it and it works great and lasts. hope this helps. john boy va.

p.s 3/16 is a good thickness. j.b.

Has anyone made a frame for their windshield and if so where did you get the top corners? Would like to make one but do not want square top corners.

tatoo, look up sharpe products.com they sell curved square corners and sq. tube elbows for 1'' and up aluminum sq. tubing. buy 4 corners and some length of sq. tubing and you can make a nice frame. attach the poly sheeting after cutting to shape by drilling holes and using sheet metal screws. good luck. john boy va.

Just ordered my Polycarbonate sheet form Mcmaster-Carr. .125 thick (1/8th) with a scratch resistant and UV protected coating. straightened my frame out and now I am waiting for it to be delivered.

+ Reply to Thread