heated throttle cable or not heated

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: heated throttle cable or not heated

heated throttle cable or not heated

My throttle cable froze while I was riding and I got home fine. I thought it was the handle but it just came off but found it was actually the throttle cable but the main question is, is a heated throttle cable needed or not heated.

If you operate in below freezing temps very often I would put a heated cable in. By blowing out the water and flushing with isopropyl alchol will prevent freezing. I got by this way for years before heated cables were available. The water gets in the cable from running down the lever. If you cover the lever with a tin can when sitting it really helps keep it dry.

mudmax , i've had good luck using a shringe and needle and slowly squirting antifreeze in the cable. i'ts been about 10 - 15 degrees at night lately and it has'nt froze up yet. hope this helps. johnboy va.

I too use the antifreeze in both cables. I use a snowmobile primer bulb clamped to the cable. Once I suck a enough fluid in it, I put pressure to it with an air gun. A few times on both cables and I'm running it in below 0 conditions with no issues.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I think I'll go with the heated throttle cable because it sounds like the best option for me but. every one for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Mudmax View Post
    I think I'll go with the heated throttle cable because it sounds like the best option for me but. every one for the tips
    On a II they work pretty good. On my Iv, the heated cable never heated up enough.

Ok thats not good because already ordered it. I think it will be fine because it really only froze on a really cold day but I hope It works.

I have the heated cable on my IV, it get pretty warm. My choke cable has frozen on my twice this year. Both times I just loosened the hold down at the carb to operate it manually.

thanks for the tips also its a IV
    Last edited by Mudmax; 01-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Keep a plastic bag over your throttle and it should help out dramatically. My heated cable only lasted a few seasons as it kept freezing up and eventually snapped. That's when I switched to antifreeze and have yet to have an issue since.

+ Reply to Thread