max iv help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: max iv help

thanks jim. iam pretty sure of it now. the issue is carb. iam going to change out filter this week after that pulling the carb apart. its so close . there are so many things fuel related to check on. was thinking about running some seafoam through it in a tank of gas. this can be put in the gas and crankcase. the guy I got this from had 3 of these and I think this was the neglected child. also found out that there was 2 springs on the carb. one operates throttle and gov the other is a dampening spring. not sure exactly what it does but I think it keeps gov from hunting . smooths it out.
    thanks jim nicer weather next week hope to get it resolved soon. its 20,s here in ny/pa line.

Here are 2 pics I've found in the gallery, not sure of first with the larger spring, the second looks to be an Argo set up. Note they are both in different holes.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

the long spring is the dampening spring that runs parallel with the metal rod on the gov arm. but being tied together solid to the gov shaft I guess you could cob a spring on either side to get the same effect. hey how do I put pics on here I did take pictures of the motor yesterday . it looks identical to the ones you posted even the missing paint and all. and that little short spring is the very stiff one iam talking about. that spring in your picture looks the same length but lighter due to the thickness. well I dug around in my garage today and had a new can of the seafoam so I added a 1 oz to the little bit of gas I had in the tank and believe it or not this motor run better. the fuel filter looks very dirty going to try and pick one up tomorrow when I get out of work. the machine definitely get right along better but when you go from 3/4 throttle to open that's were she lags and sorta dies like it has a rev limiter. so I took it out and through a large mud hole were most of the 4 wheelers get hung up here. went through it 3 times then came through it the opposite way slower because of a big rock at the end of it and I buried it. never thought this would happen I had to get pulled out by my brother and his tractor. that hurt my masculinity there I thought I had the bomb. it was fun and she is getting pretty close to running the way I would expect. do you know of any newer engines that can be used as a drop in replacement for the kohler 20 mag. I don't know why but I am beginning to love it. it even seems to turn easier and all I have more control of it. it growing on me. also think she could use a new belt . better tires a lot. but one thing at a time. would u recommend a good tire. I may pick up a few at a time till I can change all 6. oh yeah the carb in your pic has the high speed fuel adj in the top of it mine don't.
    thanks
    jim

iam not sure but there is a hole on the top of my carb by that linkage. I suppose that could of vibrated out of there if that's a jet hole. I have seen it happen on other carbs. tomorrow in the daylight I will get a better look at it. or its broke off in the carb.
    hummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Here are 2 pics I've found in the gallery, not sure of first with the larger spring, the second looks to be an Argo set up. Note they are both in different holes.

The top picture,per the service manual,is correct. In the other 2 pics the long spring going from the governor arm to what appears to be one of the fan shroud screws does not belong there. A "damping" spring would run parallel to the rod to take up the play from the pivots.

Joe, that is a forced idle spring on Magnums. It's an Argo trans thing to get them to shift smoothly, it's in the manual.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Joe, that is a forced idle spring on Magnums. It's an Argo trans thing to get them to shift smoothly, it's in the manual.
    Hey Jim,
    I was just referencing the Engine manual Kohler published,not an application specific article. That is OEM on the Argos? Wow,the good ole days! But,we're workin' on a Max here,I heard those forced idle springs only fix Argo transmissions, so it shouldn't be needed.

hey joe thanks for helping me. in the first picture you posted is the carb I have it is a fixed main jet. I took it apart tonight and the part#is 5205346 that number is on one side of the throttle flange side of carb. directly across from it is another #wh0542009 I searched and searched and searched with this wh number could not find anything. then iam looking the carb over every inch found the 52 number and bam found the carb. I called a small engine repair shop and gave him the wh number and told him to call me if he could find that carb or one that replaces it. I called him 10 min before closing so I know he will be at a dead end till I give him the other number. so I tore it all apart put air thru all the ports and all I can do is adjust the float to the service manual specs and adjust the idle fuel jet that was 3 quarters of a turn out more then it should be. iam hoping to come up with another carb asap and in the meantime I will put this one back on after I set it up per service manual and hope for the best. I put a fuel filter in it last night made no difference . tonight I pulled the line off fuel pump before pulling the carb and it was pumping fuel so I hope I get it soon. I know these don't run like a raped ape but if I can get that bog out of it past 1/2 3/4 throttle this thing will make that 20mph pretty quick and iam very very happy with that. hoping to put the grandkids on it this weekend and have some fun. iam deperate enough if I could drop a motor in it that would not have to be cobbed any at all I would probally buy it. the machine definitely has great potential for what I want it for which is hunting and fishing. now I need to find a gunrack for it and a winch seeing so I buried it already. once it sits on the tub she is done. but I was moving pretty slow through this big mudhole when I did it. so after I got pulled out by a tractor I did what a guy would do and went thru it a couple more times. successfully I might add. I also got to get a seat for it or try and fix the front one in it. this thing will keep me busy for a while. hey how do they do in the snow and how much of it. I never know what the weather is going to be like during dear season so I may have to drag my dear out with it. I have two body cracks to fix up front yet also. they are higher then your feet are so I don't know how they possibly did that. iam going to silicone them then tiger hair over it inside and out. come spring I want to put this girl in the water... also need to hook up with some tires for it even though these have a lot tread. one has a patch on the side of it that looks like crap so maybe I can get a match for it. I will have to look them over to even see what they are. I live 2 hour south of where these things are built in buffalo ny but I have never seen one of these in this area . its straight 4 wheelers here and side by sides
    seeya buddy. thanks so much for helping me out. I might be 54 but I still have the brain of a 20 year old. just want to have fun on wheels or a track. and man I cannot believe the prices of accessories on these things omg. seeya
    Last edited by BSBLHATER; 10-20-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammer

Check this out,a little more info never hurts when trying to understand something.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/...table_carb.asp

thanks joe. put my carb back together tonight. now I have a top end but something is a little off somewhere in my linkage adjustments. I will keep working on it. I have to pull throttle half way before I move. going to experiment with sensitivity setting on the gov arm holes. also relized this motor is missing the shroud over the cylinder facing the rear of the machine. this takes air from flywheel and cools that cylinder head. this could be a factor in the miss. could be overheating that cyl so I text the guy to see if he had it. I see what the did they broke both bolts for the shroud of in the cylinder head so they just discarded it.
    seeya iam gaining on it.

+ Reply to Thread