18 vangaurd replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 18 vangaurd replacement

18 vangaurd replacement

I posted this in the engines forum but figured I try here to. I have a max 4 and I would like to purchase a direct replacement motor for it, if I can move up in hp that's great, if not no problem. Just want to buy something that is easy to put back in. Also looking for someone in my area that works on these machines. We have driven our shop mechanic crazey with chains , rusted bolts ,Allen screws, etc. My area is deleware. Thanks for the help.

i replaced my 16 h.p. vanguard in my max 2 with the 21 h.p. vanguard. everything fit the same, all i had to do was modify the manifold alittle. mount bolts, shaft size, etc. matched. probably someone on the forum is near you..... johnboy va.

I run the 21hp harbor frieght engine in my Max IV and love it.

Thank you for your replies

Anyone on shaft type and size

Look at amphibiousdrew's gallery and search the Max forum as there may be a thread. I found him a like new 23 horse B&S real cheap I couldn't swing and was basically a direct bolt in, as far as the crank the common 1" x 2-9/16 - 3" long is good. If you could find a Kohler or Kawasaki efi right they'd be good to, though you may need to by clutches.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I was hoping to go right on tewarehouse and order the motor then just pull one and replace with the new one. There are so many shaft sizes that's why I posted

anything larger than the 18hp will require the exhaust flanges be reworked on your muffler.

this will petty well be a drop in and drive deal in my opinion.

Briggs Engine 356447-3038

all i had to do in order for my manifold from the 18 h.p. to fit the 21 h.p. was cut the manifold and drill the flange holes a little bigger so they would bolt up. then just welded in short piece on the manifold to fill in the 2'' space. works well, no problems. johnboy

That's what I was looking for. Thank you for the reply. Last question, if I unbolt the clutch will it bolt right on the new motor. Thanks again I appreciate the help. Do I need to make a mounting bolt flange or are they already set up for the existing bolt holes
    Last edited by Delduck; 12-15-2016 at 09:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread