Max II Analog tach Equus 6086

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II Analog tach Equus 6086

Max II Analog tach Equus 6086

I searched quite a bit and came up with all kinds of conflicting information about installing a analog tach in a magneto fired motor. I have a digital tach/hour meter on my Rokon and quad, but they are very hard to read while riding. I wanted to put a tach on the Max just to see what kind of rpm's I am getting.

I ended up buying the Equus 6086 which is a 2 5/8" backlit tach for $34 shipped. The instructions that came with the tach said it would only work with a 4,6 or 8 cylinder motor. After reading up on it quite a bit, I learned that this style tach and basically almost any tach will work with a Vanguard engine. The Equus 8068 normally runs around $60-80 and has a nifty inductive clamp that clamps right to the plug wire for the tach signal. Supposedly the 8068 will work with any engine from 1 to 12 cylinders and has a setting for each. The 6086 does not have this feature.

To get it connected, I soldered a wire to the negative side of one of the 2 coils. You cannot use the kill switch wire like many suggested on other forums. The kill switch wire is connected to both coils on the Vanguard and you have to connect to only one to get this tach to work. It was pretty easy actually. I just had to remove the recoil start cover to get to the back coil. I then removed it and soldered on the wire and reinstalled the coil using a business card to gap it against the flywheel.

Instead of drilling a hole in the dash, I took a 1/2" piece of scrap HDPE and made a mount out of that. It is actually high enough it does not interfere with knee room. In the picture the tach is actually backlit and the engine is idling.

I just wanted to share this tidbit of info if anyone else wanted to install a tach. Jay

Nice work!
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

Thanks.

I also wanted to mention that this tach "fluctuates" when idling quite a bit due to the erratic(up and down) idle of my Vanguard (14hp). It only does it when idling. Once I am actually moving, the tach smooths out and reads pretty smooth through the rpm range. Also, this tach is backlit in white light only where the 8068 has multiple color options for the backlight.

+ Reply to Thread