Splined axle bearing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Splined axle bearing question

Splined axle bearing question

Hello, I am in the process of changing out the bearings to our 2005 M-IX. The outer bearing I have are the HC207-20R3.
    There is a steel pin inserted into the grease hole. Does thus mean this bearing is considered completely sealed, and can not be greased?
    Or do I pull out this steel pin and line it up with the zerk? Thanks.

Unrelated rant... I ordered the wrong inner bearings. The Buffalo Bearing rep asked if my axles used the smaller bore bearings, or larger. I confessed I didn't know, and told him to send the larger 72mm. Well' my axles are turned down smaller on the ends.
    I'll contact Buffalo Bearing and ask if I can trade them out.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Regarding flanges... My inner flanges have some sort of gasket between them.
    Can I used those rolls of make-a-gasket cork material as a substitute?
    Or Silicone from a tube?

Our local store only had Ace Rope Caulk, not 3M Strip Caulk that Mike recommends in his axle vid.
    They haf DAP Auto -Marine Sealant 100% RTV Silicone, so I bought it to used on the outer flanges.
    Is this suitable?

I was told I would need to drill new holes in the flanges, but how do I drill square holes? Am I supposed to file them square?
    I think these may be returned, as well.

ThankYou.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-17-2016 at 01:18 AM.

The steel pin gets pulled from the bearing prior to install. You should be able tograb a hold of it well enough with a set of side cutters. Silicone from a tube will work fine but the strip caulk makes the job a lot easier and less messy. My favorite sealant is "Right Stuff", it is about 2-3x the price of regular automotive silicone sealant but works 100% of the time. The nicest thing about Right Stuff is you can put it into service as soon as the bolts are torqued down, you do not have to wait for it to cure.

Do what Zuk says. The pin is for alignment in a cast flange which we don't have. You can grind or file it flush also. There is a grease hole in the bearing that you can try to line up with the zerk. The square holes in the flanges are just stamped that way for other applications. Just drill the fourth hole to match if if you decide to use new.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Thanks guys. I'll pull that pin out, easy enough (or file it flat).

I don't mind waiting for the sikicone to set, I'm not in a deep hurry to ride.

Square holes don't matter, got it. I think I will use new flanges then. I do have a drill press so I should drill then accurate. I do appreciate it.

If I have any more questions I'll post them here.

Thanjs Zuk and Tbone, you guys gave me some breathing room here.

Regarding me ordering the wrong inner bearings...

Greg at Buffalo Bearing helped me identify the correct inner bearing (one inch bore, not 1.25 inch as I mistakenly ordered) and he well exchange these wrong ones for the correct ones. He's even sending the correct ones before he gets these back. Awesome service. Very impressed.

I highly recommend Buffal Bearing: 716-874-1720

Had they begun turning down the inner end of the axle to 1" by 2005? All of the Max IV axles I've been using have been 1-1/16" on the inboard bearing, which I turn down to 1" to use in a couple of the racers. I'm certainly no expert on when Max changed over anything; just trying to make sure you get the right parts this time.

I merely used a steel ruler and eye balled it. It looked one inch.

Is it really supposed to be 1 and 1/16 inch?

Edit... I took a better look at the axle end, and it does indeed look like 1-1/16.
    I just called Greg at Buffalo Bearing and he will modify the order.
    Thank you, Mike. I'm glad there are people on this site that care enough to help newbies learn. Thank you.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 05-17-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Yippee! We got the axle installed. We are very pleased. It took a lot of work, some confusion, and some frustration. This is how to learn it, though. We are thinking to remove the left rear axle later, after dinner, and replace the bearings and sprocket tube. This side ought to be quicker and easier, now that we know how.
    Thank you all for the help and advice.

Glad it worked out for you. Like Hydro says it is 1 1/16 for the inners. The bearing number is UC 206-17
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread