T-20 Gear Shift

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-20 Gear Shift

T-20 Gear Shift

I have been having trouble shifting my T-20 on my Max II. It is very hard to shift from neutral to forward or reverse (with the machine on or off). I have to rock it back and forth to get it into forward. Is there an adjustment for that or is the problem more serious. The only other problem is when I am going up steep hills, the transmissions slips a bit causing a little bouncing.

I just changed the fluid and put in 4oz of anti slip.

Any suggestions?

I have to rock it back and forth to get it into forward
    This is not unusual for the T-20. It may be unusual if your machine has all of a sudden become hard to shift, but the T-20 is difficult to shift under normal circumstances.

As far as the slipping, are you sure it's not slipping at the belt?

Other questions...What type of fluid did you use? Did the slipping and shifting difficulty start after the fluid change or after some other event?

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure if the belt is slipping but that could be it. I just installed a new motor and don't know if it is adjusted correctly. I will tighten the belt a little to see if that does the trick. Right now I can just take the belt off the pulleys with out loosening the motor.

This is a new machine to me. I changed all the fluids before I put any real time on it so I'm not sure how well it worked before.

Sounds like your belt is too loose.
    You used automatic transmission fluid in the t-20,right?

Using this link http://www.6x6world.com/images/recre...ors-Manual.pdf, page 93, locate belt adjustment instructions and adjust belt to correct tension per manual. I think that once you have done that, your slipping will be cured.

Just a few notes... Pull back on the laterals a few inches, then shift. Pulling too far causes brake effect, and the T20 won't shift at all.
    Never force the T20 to shift. This can break the pins on the diamond shifter, causing more problems.
    Its considered normal to shake the machine to help with shifting.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I did the split shift mod and mine goes into gear way better than it used to!! and it only took me a 1/2 hour to do that.
    good luck

Yeah, doing the T-20 jiggle is just part of shifting from forward to reverse, that's the problem with trying to get 2 different non syncronized gear sets to engage at the same time. The chance that both sides are lined up at the same time are slim to none. Splitting the shifters would be the best option, then just engage one side at a time. Rusty-Gunn gave great advice on making sure your not applying brake when you shift, that will actually prevent the gears from engaging unless the machine rolls a little forward or backwards. Make sure your sticks are neutral and just apply slight pressure on the shift lever while you give the machine a shake, you'll feel it slip into gear.

Thanks for all the advise. It sounds like the split shifter mod will make the most difference and it looks pretty simple. It will also allow me to spin it around on my trailer so I don't have to back off!

While it might be possible to "spin" the vehicle on a trailer, it is not recommended due to fact that you could put vehicle in a position to either tip or roll off one side of the trailer.

+ Reply to Thread