Is the Max iv 95 a good year

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the Max iv 95 a good year

Is the Max iv 95 a good year

I have recently inquired about a 95 max 4 6x6 bought new in 2001. I want this pretty bad but don't want to buy something that ill be fixing more then enjoying. I read the buyers guide but really have no idea what to check. I have offered 2350 for it which was excepted. juSt wondering if that's a good price? is this a reliable year? And what to look for before I spend the money. Any help is appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with that year Max IV but without seeing pictures, it will be hard to tell if that is a good price or not. What motor does it have in in? What kind of shape is it in? What size tires does it have? Does it have any accessories? The downside to that year range that pops in my head is that it most likely won't have k-lock wheels. The tires can pop off the beads with the non-K-lock wheels more easily but it's not a huge deal. The other thing I'm not sure about are the axles. I don't know if they would be solid axles or not. There were three types of axles used over the years. Hollow axles were the weakest. Solid axles were much stronger but the bolts can wear out the holes in the axle/sprockets over time. Splined axles are the best but those weren't standard on all models until much later. I would guess that they would be solid but I'm not sure. Perhaps one of the Max guys can chime in.

I was told it has a Briggs and straton 24hp motor electric and pull start says he had everything gone over all the chains and sprockets ect.I mean obvisouly anyone can say that no extras I can see from pic wouldn't let me upload but it does have a camo paint job not sure if they sold them like that or not tires are the v ones from what I can see in the picrure. Also where is a good site for parts? Is it something that ill be able to fix or is it complicated. Am I able to buy the newer style tires? Just any useful information I can use helps. Like what parts are most expensive ect. And thank you very much to anybody who answers k feel at home already lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Max4. It has the engine mounted on the rear platform with the t20 directly underneath, so in terms of balance, it is rear biased and the engine makes balance awkward as well. The chains going to the axles are super easy to adjust, however the chains coming off the t-20 are hidden underneath the engine, so adjusting them will necessitate pulling the engine for maintaining those chains. The shift linkage going to the t20 is a very long and complicated thing, and shifting a Max4 is a weird experience. The laterals are easy to get to, but again have a long linkage.
    The Max4 is fairly narrow, and if you have a powerful motor, when you combine that with the weight bias in the rear, and the high center of gravity, a Max4 can get pretty sideways quickly. The body is fairly short and low in the water, so you have to be careful in any kind of water with wave action. The better machines have solid splined axles, and decent frames, older models seem to have frame issues in the rear but can be gusseted for additional strength. When exiting out of water, be careful not to get in such a steep angle that the rear end gets submerged. I have owned three over the years, and currently have one so I do have experience with these machines.

With me being a big guy would that help with the weight Difference Im probly as heavy as the engine and trans my weight is about 350.

Another question does any body find that these don't get the clearance of say a 4x4 atv is it something that wouldn't be right for my area I live in pa outside of puttsburgh. Vie been reading reviews some good some bad just want to know what I'm getting into.

I can't agree with you today Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the Max4. It has the engine mounted on the rear platform with the t20 directly underneath, so in terms of balance, it is rear biased and the engine makes balance awkward as well.
    When the machine is empty there is more biase to the rear but the Max IV is rider forward so once you get in the machine it balances out very well. My max IV floats perfectly level in the water with myself and a passenger inside the machine. Unlike my old Argo that floated nose down from the motor and tranny weight up front. I much prefer the balance of the Max and I like that the front end lifts up and out of the watter when you blip the throttle, the Max exits the watter much better.

The chains going to the axles are super easy to adjust, however the chains coming off the t-20 are hidden underneath the engine, so adjusting them will necessitate pulling the engine for maintaining those chains. The shift linkage going to the t20 is a very long and complicated thing, and shifting a Max4 is a weird experience. The laterals are easy to get to, but again have a long linkage.
    T-20 chains are simple to adjust and there is no need to remove anything more than the back cover to access them. The adjusters are at the back of the frame between the tub and rear frame rail, not underneath the engine. Very quick and simple job with a 3/4" wrench.

The Max4 is fairly narrow, and if you have a powerful motor, when you combine that with the weight bias in the rear, and the high center of gravity, a Max4 can get pretty sideways quickly. The body is fairly short and low in the water, so you have to be careful in any kind of water with wave action. The better machines have solid splined axles, and decent frames, older models seem to have frame issues in the rear but can be gusseted for additional strength. When exiting out of water, be careful not to get in such a steep angle that the rear end gets submerged. I have owned three over the years, and currently have one so I do have experience with these machines.
    Narrow and short compared to what? Here are some specs for comparison.

____________ Argo 6x6___Argo 8x8___Max IV
    Wheel Base______48"_____ 72"______ 58"
    Overall Width____57.5"____57.5"______56"
    Overall Length____95"_____119"______96"

When comparing apples to apples (6wheeler to 6 wheeler) the Max has the stability advantage over the Argo in my opinion. A Max IV is 56" wide x 96" long, only 1.5" narrower than an Argo and only 1" longer BUT that same Max has 10" more wheel base offsetting any perceived rear weight bias and giving much better approach angle. The additional wheel base is also a huge bennifit while climbing steep obstacels making the Max more stable in my opinion.

I agree with you on the steep water exits, they can be dodgy. When I have a really gnarly exit to make I simply turn the machine around and back out instead of driving out.
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 02-09-2017 at 09:06 AM.

My opinions were based upon many years of experience with these machines and not meant as a criticism of anyone's machines, nor as an advertisement for Argo, or any other machine. I didn't mention other machines in my post. I do agree that Argos have a weight bias to the front. There is no such thing as a perfect machine. I have built and owned custom machines that were produced for a perfect weight balance, and ease in maintenance, but even then, there were issues that came up. How an aatv is loaded and how it carries passengers does greatly effect the handling. Additionally, a heavy driver can offset the design weight imbalance of a Max4. In regard to the chains on the t20, there are adjusters as Canadian Zuk indicates. What I was getting at is that once the adjustment has been performed there is only so much slack that can be taken out, beyond that, it requires chain replacement, and pulling the engine. I've never liked the design of the stock chain adjusters and ended up fabricating some of my own, but even then, when the chains have to be replaced, the engine has to be pulled.
    Again, my post was not designed to hurt anyone's feelings or to sway a purchase one way or another. The Max4 does have some shortcomings, folks that I have ridden with either love or hate them. I think a better solution would be to redesign the Max4 along the lines that the Administrator of this site, Mike, has done. Lower the center of gravity, address the balance issue side to side, shorten the linkages for the shifter and the laterals, and it would be a nearly perfect machine.
    As a factory Max4 goes, they do perform well. Are generally, easy to work on, and are great value for the money especially if they can be had for not a lot of money.
    There are no perfect machines though, and that was the main jist of my points.

Sorry man, I didn't take your post as negative or an all out slag on the Max. My intention was not at all to appear like I was picking your post apart and don't worry about hurting my feelings, I'm internet hardened lol. Our opinions differ obviously and I was just weighing in on your observations point by point to provide the OP with another point of view. Yes, the engine does need to be pulled to replace those chain or to do any maintenance on the T-20 or seconday but I've had mine in and out so many times that it's a non issue now , it takes less than 15 minutes to get the motor and stand out of the way.

I also like Mikes (and others) mod of unstacking the drive train for better COG but I'm not ready to give up my back seat yet lol.

I as well like the balance of a IV especially going down steep hills and in the water. I fish two big adults out of the front seat. I've got to believe that's why they stacked the motor and tranny. I also like the fact all the noise and heat is behind me. Also like that all the chains are driven from the back which allows the use of idler sprockets on top instead of sliders on the bottom. But like Noel says the primary chains and trans are buried. The long sloppy shift linkage is a factor as well. Pros and cons to everything. Different strokes for different folks.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread