TheSilverBuick MAX II Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TheSilverBuick MAX II Project

Finally got my tools packed up and got back to this. With some MAP gas and getting the shifter glowing red hot, as advised here, with vise grips holding the pin and using a punch and hammer to tap the body the pin came out. While it was still hot I tapped a new pin in its place. I'm not sure if it's too long or not, but I'll start with where it's at now and if it doesn't seat I'll grind it down little by little. I may pull the other side to A) check it's condition, and B) compare the length sticking out.

I made the mistake of seeing about "polishing" it up with a red scotchbrite pad while it was still cooking hot and kind of smeared it. So I'll wait a day or two and try it again.

Also the motorcycle throttlebodies showed up as well. For a bit I thought I was going to need to make an electronic throttle controller (Drive-by-wire) set up, but it's still fully manual. I'm not entirely sure what the big motor in the middle does other than act like an electronic choke. I think both shafts are two pieces and I might be able to split it into pairs, and be able to run just two of them.

Well the transmission has to come out. I cut down the dowel, beveled the end a bit and installed it and it felt good and solid when I installed it and worked it between forward and reverse, so buttoned everything back together and started it up and had reverse on the left side for all of a 1/2 second. Felt like it bit then jumped out of gear. I pulled the diamond shifter out and peered down the hole and there was a huge chunk of the shifter collar missing. I pushed the MAX back into place in the garage and went to take a picture but it spun over and now looks "perfect" through the hole. So I spent about 15 minutes beginning the removal process of transmission, should have it out with another 15-20 minutes worth of time.

Looks like I'll be in need of a shifter collar like this, and who knows at this point what else I may find. Is Rich's Relics the only place to get one? *edit* I see Max6x6.com has new ones for $161. Looks like there are two kinds so I need to find out what tooth count mine has. May still look for a good used one.

Here is a picture of the shortened dowel and the one from the right side that is good shape.

**Edit**
    Found this in one of Dirtdobber's threads, I'm guessing mine looks about the same. Excessive force trying to shift it into gear? I know I haven't forced it. The few times I've had it running I've worked on the shifting and rocking the machine if needed to get full engagement. I've read enough threads on here about that!
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; 04-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Pulled the transmission out and apart tonight. The left shift collar is toast, both worn and broken, and there was one band that was twisted up and had some friction material flake off when I tried to straighten it. Otherwise everything else looks pretty good. So I'm in it for a shift collar and probably one band.

THANKS to the "How to article" on here!

The drums look to be in decent shape. The one on the right of the photo is actually the left drum.

The right side bands.

The left bands look good except the bent part at the bottom of the photo. All the bushings in the transmission look good.

Despite wrapping the friction material and gently using a pair of crescent wrenches to keep from pinching it while twisting, it still flaked.

The shift collars. Again the one on the right is actually the left side. So the right shift collar looks good, the left is worned down as well as broken.

The broken collar and the piece was just sitting there.

Just a couple pictures of one of the drums.

You are into it now! When I got my machine I took it for a ride in the swamp and got stuck got a little to aggressive on the sticks and broke a band in the trans. Got my buddy to to tow me out got home pulled out the trans and thought its already broke what the hell so I tore it apart it was amazing how simple the the T-20 transmission is to work on. Good Luck! keep us posted.

I see now why it was an 18-tooth collar with half the teeth ground off, it seems the carrier plate is set up for 18-teeth! I was just out there looking at it, not intending on doing anything an that caught my eye. So I'll be looking for a carrier plate. Richards Relics lists them for $20.

Fun fun!

Got a 9-tooth collar, 9-tooth carrier plate and a gasket/seal/thrust washer set in so now I have to find some time to change out the seals and get it back together.

While cleaning it up I started to really not like the look of one of the drums (bottom right one in the picture) so thought before I attempt a re-use I'd check e-bay and as luck would have it there was two of them on there for $45. So I bought one. The other drum (top right) has slight grooves on it and I think I'll try and see if the guy at the local O'reily's (he's actually pretty good!) to make a light pass on it with their drum/rotor surfacing machine. Not sure if their setup can, but I'll ask. The other two drums just need a light polish to knock the surface rust off.

The good drum(left) arrived today. I still have to see about getting the other one surfaced smooth.

I've assembled half the transmission, but will be taking it back apart to put new bands in. Decided to replace the band that was all twisted up and damaged... Then looked at it some more and one of the other bands looked like it has a rough spot on it too. On E-bay Alto Products had one set of 4 bands on sale for $320, and looking at their website it was listed in their clearance section, so I threw an offer of $250 at it, and they came back with $295 and free shipping, and being e-bay tax free. Still a little more than I wanted to pay, but once I get this last drum turned (seems no auto shops have a conventional lathe anymore...), new bands, shims and seals, this T-20 will pretty much be new. And now I have a bit over $1,000 in the Max.

FINALLY got the drum machined. Had a few shops flat decline to do it and one say 10 weeks before they could get to it before I found one that said one to two weeks. It's just about back together then I'll get it plopped back into the Max.

+ Reply to Thread