What is the MAX parts situation like?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the MAX parts situation like?

What is the MAX parts situation like?

I should have asked these questions before purchasing mine -lol- but,it's never to late.I suppose.

But,seriously,given that MAX production stopped earlier this year(I have been told) I would like to know:

1) What parts/pieces are presently 'unobtainable' in new condition?

2) Are there any certain parts that one should purchase now for spares in the future,either because of wear or scarcity ?

62, i don't believe you will have any trouble finding any parts. many members have good used parts available and the co. richards relics (check his website) have many parts for max's. the main components... axles ,chain,sprockets,bearings,clutches,brake parts,etc. are around. others will reply about other sources also. j.b.

Exactly, parts are for the most part universal. There are multiple sources out there, and if you fabrication skills can make many things that you may need.

I am Sure that parts are not going to dry up anytime soon ! This machine has been around a long time with very little change and there are two or more parts dealers still selling parts.
    I have been keeping watch on the Maxi site but no word as of yet about U.S dealers ?
    I was wondering if a person wanted a NEW Machine how would he go about getting one ??

I don't think that new machines will be coming down the pipe anytime soon. It takes at least several months to set up a facility, install the machinery, hire and then train employees, etc. The Biggest problem with Max is that the three machines in their fold date back nearly 40 years. I don't know about the average person, but I am not interested in going out and purchasing a new 1976 era vehicle. Maybe once the company gets the 8x8 out, and does some updates on the other models, or at least modernizes the design, it may be a hit. I've said this before, but efi, a modern water cooled engine like a Polaris 570, an optional heater for folks in the snow belt, automatic chain adjusters, etc. are called for this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    ...automatic chain adjusters, etc. are called for this day and age.
    I'd like to see MAX scrap the chain and gear setup to direct hydraulic motors and hydro static drive.

Yes I agree. I would like to see direct drive even. Shaft drive is bulky and heavy, but I would like to see a solid maintainance free driveline for non amphibious atvs, for pushing snow and typical yard work. Something heavy duty and bullet proof for pulling fencing trailers, that would be more reliable than a 4 wheeler. Chains are high maintainance, belts are required to be very clean to last (no rocks or dirt for cog belts) so a shaft driven Max would be badass.

Tie all three axles on one side together, and shaft drive from a hydrostatic drive to the middle. Idk what kindof work it would take, but I'd like to find a hammered out Max ii shell that I don't have to worry about trying to make it float again and instead build the **** out of it.

Would you care to mention those two dealers? My searching doesn't indicate all that 'rosey' a situation........ I'm aware of 'Richards Relics',in fact,I've known Mr. Clark since the mid-90's,as he became the primary source for Bridgestone motorcycle parts in the US by purchasing the closing dealer inventories at the time. Personally,I don't care for him;especially when he's in a position to set prices above those of the original manufacturer. As with BS then,he may be doing that now....I don't know.
    I've read the comments of others similar to mine,so I'd very much like to know who else is a source. It looks to me like the mechanical pieces are easier to source than the factory accessories such as racks,windshields,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 62saab View Post
    Would you care to mention those two dealers? My searching doesn't indicate all that 'rosey' a situation........ I'm aware of 'Richards Relics',in fact,I've known Mr. Clark since the mid-90's,as he became the primary source for Bridgestone motorcycle parts in the US by purchasing the closing dealer inventories at the time. Personally,I don't care for him;especially when he's in a position to set prices above those of the original manufacturer. As with BS then,he may be doing that now....I don't know.
    I've read the comments of others similar to mine,so I'd very much like to know who else is a source. It looks to me like the mechanical pieces are easier to source than the factory accessories such as racks,windshields,etc.
    There are a ton of people who hate, and bash on Richard. He is not the most personable guy to to talk to, but he isn't the devil either. While he purchased the remaining stock of hustler to resell ( he had the investment Capitol to do so), the remaining Attex lower bodies became ponds in a fishery. The Hustler bodies were available for us to purchase for many years, and the attex ones never will be. Yes. Many of his prices are higher but that is how a retail business works. Anything you purchase in a store was purchased BY the store for half of what you pay for it. the average markup in any retail business is 100%. What many people fail to realize is that he chose to make a living from something that we choose to do for a hobby. I can spend all the time in the world looking for cheaper prices but if I don't know anything about a machine and I want to call somewhere to gain knowledge and all the parts I need in a One-Stop shop he provides it. Over the last couple years recreative was in business, I seldom received a call back from the parts manager who was also the owner. I can call Richard and order a part and have it within the week. 3 weeks later when Jay finally got around to calling me back he generally quoted me a price that was higher than Richards. I generally Source my own parts and rarely purchase anything from Richard, but when I need something it is available
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am very new to the aatv world and this site I have purchased a few small things from Richards with no problems. We use our machines for work and I have found it very hard to get info and parts especially when it's only one company (that I know of) that sells the parts. I am at a point where building a machine looks better all the time as far as getting parts. We thought about switching to the Argo but the t20 trans kept us with the max. We also had someone who had Argos and they didn't work well for us. But I'm not saying anything bad about them, don't want to make someone mad, it's just we broke those machines faster.

+ Reply to Thread