All Electric Max IV?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All Electric Max IV?

All Electric Max IV?

Has anyone tried to convert a Max to electric? Just brainstorming? What would be to issues? I am thinking an electric golf cart motor and four batteries wouldn't weigh more than the Kohler 20hp Magnum i have in there now. Just not sure if those motors have enough power.

Gearing means everything. Consider 2 motors if going this route, one per side and eliminate the t-20. A CVT system attached to each motor could still be useful. Battery life and weight would still be my concerns. What happens when out in the field and the battery gets drained? It would take a very long time to recharge from the alternator of another machine (one battery at a time).

It seems like a lot of trial, error, and money to me, and for what gain? Engine noise?

Might work in warmer climates but not up here. Batteries have a real issue in Northern Alberta.

I wondered the same thing. So I built "Max Voltage" in high school for my capstone project to find out.

One of the biggest limitations on EV vehicles is the cost to build. As I wasn't in a financial position to spend thousands on a school project, I visited local businesses and presented my idea hoping I would be pushed in the right direction. There weren't any resources for do-overs. It resulted in a forklift repair business providing me with 2 large electric motors. From there I worked with Curtis Instruments on speed controllers and wiring diagrams. Long story short, it was the most difficult vehicle I ever built, but the most rewarding.

After all the components were in the vehicle, I estimate the project has around $10,000 worth of equipment. However I had 2 electric motors, 2 speed controllers, 2 sensors on the bottom of the steering laterals, and 4 large batteries. My battery life was estimated around 45 minutes of average driving time.

I had custom machined sprockets to fit over the motor output shafts. Then ran a chain directly to the axle sprockets, having no jackshaft whatsoever. It resulted in a gear ratio good for 90 mph, but of course it didn't have the torque to even move on the ground (I have the parts to build a nifty jackshaft system with idler sprockets on the axles themselves, but haven't gotten around to it yet). I haven't truly even driven Max Voltage because of the gearing.

A single motor running to the T20 is the best route for a recreational application. You will run into a few problems with dual electric motors:
    1. Cost
    2. Battery life
    3. Gearing

You can see an EV Attex build here: Building the AMPhibian

Going with the single motor to a T20 is the most cost-effective, but I do not believe it's worth the build:
    1. The vehicle will be very heavy with no extra cargo capacity because of the batteries
    2. Battery range is so little, you're more worried about making it home rather than venturing down the trail
    3. It's very dangerous. The amount of voltage to propel an amphibious ATV is enough to cause serious harm. Driving in the water is not a risk I would take.

I don't mean to discourage anyone, just providing the information I learned throughout my project. An ultimate EV 6x6 is definitely possible, just not on a feasible budget. At the moment battery technology isn't cheap enough to warrant a high quality 6x6. Military grade batteries can easily provide a range similar to a Kholer engine, but the total vehicle cost would be somewhere near $100,000. Investing a quarter-million dollars would not be out of the realm for building, refining, and rebuilding a reliable EV to play on the hunting trails with. At this point it only makes sense to produce the vehicle to regain the R&D costs. The wiring harness alone would be a liability nightmare.

Sometimes I lay in bed dreaming of such a vehicle.

Max Voltage - Amphibious ATV Pictures

if one used the motor , and all the electric components ( pedal,switches,wiring,etc. ) and the 6 eight volt batteries , all out of say a yamaha golf cart . hooked the motor up to the t 20 and the gearing was correct it would probably run a max 2 just fine. the drawback would be the total weight of a max tub,wheels,tires , axles, chains, t 20 , etc. is probably way heavier than a golf cart less the motor, and the carts electric components. a 48 volt golf cart is good for a average of 15 miles, so you would be pretty limited to distance of travel . if you got stuck in mud..the batteries could be drained in minutes trying to get out ! johnboy va.

of course someone in this forum has tried it.... These machines lend themselves to the adventurous spirit. I have this quality/flaw that I am always thinking "can it be done" and then playing around in my mind for weeks to figure out as much as possible, before trying. My most recent project "Can you put a 3 cylinder turbo diesel in a Harley Davidson" Answer, YES. it is cray fun, sooo much torque.

IMG_6065 by Dane Trask, on Flickr

Untitled by Dane Trask, on Flickr

wow, thats awesome !! j.b.

The electric amphib isn't a do-able concept just yet. Give it a generation or two for battery development and then yes. Current battery technology isn't there yet at affordable pricing, and then there is the issue of weight. Sure an amphib can be converted to electric, but all I have seen won't float. Then the issue of range comes up.

+ Reply to Thread