Mud bug tires on a max II?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mud bug tires on a max II?

Mud bug tires on a max II?

I have seen where a few guys have stretched the body in order to clear larger tires. Seen a few that said they used the mud bug 25x11x9 tires with great results. The thing is is I can not find any 25x11x9 but instead TM16263100 is 25x11x10. And these say on the maxxis wedsite that they measure 25.2x10.8 so will these even clear each other? And can I find the bead lock rims in a 10"? Thanks in advance guys. Currently have the rawhide III in 22x11x8. Actually have 12 of them. 6 in great shape and then 6 with great tread but some dry cracking. They work well but I would like some more ground clearance for snow and a tire that cleans out a bit more in the super thick mud. Zach J

I have the 25x11x9 tires on a Max2. They are really great in the mud and pull like really few tires can. The problem is that the manufacturer stopped production of this sized tire. Even though it is rated as a 25" tire the height is actually closer to 24.25" which will fit a Max2 with some body shaping. I would rule out the 25x11x10 due to the additional height which would require additional body clearance. GBC does make a knockoff tire of the Maxxis Mud Bug in 25x11x9, which are a perfect clone of the tire in question with the only distinction being a slightly less aggressive tread height, but otherwise still a perfect tire. Both the GBC and the Maxxis tire float as well, but not as quickly as some other tires.

Thanks for the input. I also need to decide what rims to go with cause I of course have all 8" rims right now. Am also looking at possibly looking at the interco aqua torques. they make a 25x11x9 and they look crazy aggressive. But they list the actual height as 24.9" so I am not sure if they would fit or not. Zach J

Zach:
    I've tried the Aquatorques, they will not fit on a Max 2 without serious mods, and in terms of a rough ride, it's like riding on a sheet of plywood that's placed on a pack mules back. Mudd Ox sells an excellent 9" wheel that I use. I can run my Mud Bugs down to zero psi and they don't debead. The GBC Gators are probably your best option.

Noel

Thanks for the insight. They just look so MEAN! And I am bitter cause I got stuck in some bottomless mud from a lake draw down a few weeks ago, and that was with 12 (6 duals) rawhide IIIs that are 22". For molding the body I was going to install the 25" tires, then use some thick rubber (conveyor belt) about 1" thick over each tire so it takes the rounded shape up the tire. Use that to push up the body and heat gun above the tires. So just 2 humps that make room for the tires instead of raising the whole body.

Zack:
    I've tried the double hump technique before and I have to say it was not a success. I ended up remolding the entire sides to get the bigger tires to fit. After all that work, I later determined that the Max 2s perform much better with 21" tires and the Adair track system. There are some digitals in my gallery of my green Max2 with tracks, and it is nearly unstoppable. It's never been stuck. This machine will actually run on 22s and the tracks but it's very tight with no room for access, so I now run the 21s and the track.
    It will cost a bit for the Adair tracks, but they are well worth it. The factory tracks (rubber) also perform well in the snow that you guys up north get, but they swim like a boat anchor.

Yeah after reading your last post I dreamed of and looked at the track systems. I just can't swing that kinda investment. My wife already thinks I am nuts for wanting different tires. Thanks for all the very good insight. Always love to hear stuff from guys that actually tried multiple setups. I seem to be able to find some 25x12x9 gators. Do you remember what they actually measured for OD? The site i found them on says only like 22.3 or something. I assume that's not correct. Thanks.

Yes, the set of Gators I have measure nearly the same as the Mud Bugs at 24.1/8" and are dead ringers for the Mud Bugs with just slightly less aggressive tread. Great tires though and have a fine ride, swim but slowly, but are awesome in the mud.

A long shot, but seen as you seem to be super happy with your tracks set up, would you sell your mud bug/gator tires? Been in contact with mudd ox for the 9" rims and have found a few places that still have the gbc gators in the right size, but if I can find them used and save a few bucks that sure would make it easier to sell to the wife. I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full I guess. Popular guy.

if it helps monk and your looking for rims... check jed's tire and wheel online. myself and tommy ( chief diesel) bought some nice 10'' offset rims for $ 25 each. the 25'' mud rebels fit them nice. johnboy

+ Reply to Thread