2019 vanguard 23hp engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 vanguard 23hp engine

2019 vanguard 23hp engine

If I buy a brand new 23hp vanguard engine will I be able to use it in the max? Is this a direct bolt on.https://www.ebay.com/i/131594074442?...IaArk-EALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by DrywallDoc View Post
    If I buy a brand new 23hp vanguard engine will I be able to use it in the max? Is this a direct bolt on.https://www.ebay.com/i/131594074442?...IaArk-EALw_wcB
    Only thing I see is that this engine has 1 1/8 crankshaft. Your old engine prolly has a 1inch. 1 1/8 clutches are kinda pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt...3960086&sr=8-2

Something like that would probably be closer to what you need. I bought a 16hp for my argo off amazon. Only thing is I have to set the idle governor down some. In other words engine idles to high and engages the belt. Briggs makes a tool to tweak the tabs for the springs. Use a tach and set it. I would think you would have to do the same. May be wrong though,.

This is the exact engine I was looking at. https://www.ebay.com/c/28018456692
    I wanted to make sure it was the same as the 18hp other then displacement. Is the shaft height/length the same? Is this a direct bolt on and go?

Also what does it mean when it has the shaft size as 1"x3" or 1"x 2 29/32" or 1"x 3-5/32"? Which one do I need??
    Last edited by DrywallDoc; 11-17-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Regarding the shaft size, the 1"x3" or 1"x 2 29/32" or 1"x 3-5/32" refer to the diameter and length of shaft. I think the 1 x 2-29/32 is pretty common. As far as everything bolting up the same, I suggest this: Find the owners manual for your existing engine and the replacement you desire. In the back of the manual there usually is a dimensioned drawing of the engine. Compare the two. One thing you will have to modify is the wiring.

Where would be a good place to pick up one of these manuals

Go online to the briggs and Stratton site. You can enter the engine info and get to owners manual

I've had several B&S 23 hp motors, they have all been duds. Overheating, backfiring, excessive oil and fuel consumption have plagued the three I have owned. I think going to a B&S 18-21hp, Kohler or Honda motor, is a better idea.
    I've got several machines with those engine and have never had problems. Several others have also mentioned the same issues with the 23hp Briggs engines.

I would not be opposed to that. I'm looking for the biggest engine I can out in without having to modify everything.

I replaced an 18 hp with a 23 hp both B&S. I'm not disagreeing with Noel but my 23 has been a much better motor for MY needs in my Argo Bigfoot. It does consume more fuel than the 18 did.
    Are there better motors probably but my swap was an easy bolt up option.

+ Reply to Thread