Rusty Frame Repair

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Frame Repair

Rusty Frame Repair

Hey guys, brand new here and to the 6x6 world in general. I read a ton of posts and searched for the information but didn't find what I was looking for. After reading here I went and check ALL the problem areas on my new (to me) Max 2 and discovered that I need a new chain tension on the front right and that the frame rails on both sides have some pretty bad spots.

How bad/hard is frame repair on these things? It's just the lower lip on the side rails that needs fixing. Are y'all just replacing that piece (easy enough) or doing the entire side rail section?

I love to work on stuff and am a bit OCD about maintaining my equipment so I don't mind doing things the hard, but right way. So I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I replaced both outside frame rails on mine. I just had a local welding shop bend me new channels and cut the holes for bearings. If I remember right the centers for the holes were spaced 25" and it's a 5 inch channel I forget the length. I just cut the factory welds cleaned it up and welded the new in. It was really straight forward after I got started, well moreso I was dedicated once I cut the first rail off. But it's simple just make sure to keep it square and check it to be sure your axles will line up. It's a good time to add any gussetscor extra beef if you wanted to. There's pictures in my gallery and one of my son in law welding some of the one side. You can see wer in a gravel driveway at my buddies so it doesn't take much.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 01-15-2020 at 02:02 AM.
    DanW

You could just have an angle bent and notch it to clear the bearings and go that route, I decided the best way to stop the rust is to get rid of it. But everyone has their own way, either way it's a pretty straight forward simple fix if you have a grinder and welder.
    DanW

Thank you very much for the rapid and detailed response! I agree with you on the best way to deal with rust and will most likely be doing the welding shop route as well. I really, really can't stand when things aren't done properly and that seems like the best way to do it. I'm gonna figure out how to get to your gallery to see these pics but what you described is almost exactly what I had planned.

i found the exact thing whith my max 2 ae well.i ended up totally dissassembiling the machine.i found that the was more reust than I thought but after countless hrs of cutting and welding its all good now

There isn't much for detailed steps in my gallery but there are pictures of what I started with and of my son in law running a bead. I forget to take pictures usually til after I'm done. It's easy though, if I can do it anyone that can weld can. To check member galleries just click on gallery and there is a list to choose from, I think members is on top then just look for who's pictures you want to see.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by shultz55 View Post
    i found the exact thing whith my max 2 ae well.i ended up totally dissassembiling the machine.i found that the was more reust than I thought but after countless hrs of cutting and welding its all good now
    I think mine sat full of water with a leaky battery, it seemed worse in the middle than the ends, but either way both sides were trash and had to be replaced.
    DanW

Dw89xj- Found your pics. Good info and definitely looks easy enough. I liked your idea of added some gussets for strength and will most likely do that. We took her in the water today for the first time and had a blast until the throttle linkage came off the back of my Tecumseh! lol. Oh well, we figured it out. Tub doesn't leak but the bearings are shot so I'm ordering them tonight (with new flanges) and will be pulling her apart over the long weekend.

Gonna try and figure out how to post some pics of her but it may take me a few. Working on a name still too.

Offhand, does anyone know what year they swapped the body style? I'd like to be able to clear bigger tires without spacers but will continue researching this.

Mines a 75, if it helps, it's the old style and 22s are about the limit from what I can tell and have been told. I would like to go 24 or 25 but am not sure on if I feel like doing that much work to the tub.
    Your max looks bada$$ and so does that old jeep.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread