Chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chains

Chains

I just bought all new chains and the roller style chain tensioners for max II but when I went to install the new chains with the new tensioners the chain was extremely tight and the rollers were all the way up, it was so tight I barely could move the bearings. Do I need to get longer chains?

I made my own roller tensioners. I used the recommended length of chains, 101 or 102 pins, I can't remember exactly offhand. Mine were very tight also, jacking it up helped get the front ones on but the rears I had my wife test run the max for maybe 100ft I was able to get rears on then by jacking it up to get tension off the wheels. They were still pretty tight but gave me enough to get the chains on the rollers.
    *Edit*- mine weren't so tight it made the bearings bind up just tight to get the chains on, everything still spins by hand when either side is jacked up.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 01-29-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    DanW

.I think the flat factory tensioners are easier because of being flat where the roller pushes the chain before even adding tension
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 01-28-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    DanW

Ben,

Don't run the machine with the chains that tight. The new tensioner apparently changed the geometry enough that you need to add a link.

a half link may be just right , but i know some people don't recommend them . maybe just untill the chain stretches a bit. see what others say . j.b.

DW89xj

Can u send some photos of your chain tensioner system installed on max please ?

I’m assuming you mean a automatic spring loaded setup

Regards
    OZ

No they're manual but pretty simple.
    DanW

I will try and get pictures with chains on tomorrow but it might be hard to get decent ones with the battery box and belt and everything installed. The front will be easy all I need to do is lift the floor out.

Sorry about the last picture it was supposed to be of the rear tensioners, they're the same as the front but pretty much flush to the frame
    Attached Images
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread