Biggest tire I can put on my 1977 max iv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Biggest tire I can put on my 1977 max iv

Biggest tire I can put on my 1977 max iv

Hello everyone this is my first posting. I have a 1977 max iv with a chaparral 454cc two stroke. We replaced a lot of parts and the machine runs like a beast. The problem I have is it has 21x11x8 tires and it rides like a tank and no ground clearance. I would like to buy new rims and tires in 26x12x12 there seems to be enough clearance under the tub to fit them but I’m not sure. Can anyone help me on this.

A Max IV will work fine with 26" tires, that is the size of the terra tires that originally came on them. The Max II is limited to sub 25". I wasn't aware the Max IV was in production as early as 77.
    Tire manufactures can over or under exaggerate their tire sizes so be cautious of that. One companies 29" tire could easily be 27" and another could be 30"
    http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/02-m...o-buffalo.html these are ht biggest I've seen on a Max IV
    The best Max IV tires are the stock Terra tire 26" tall very good in all conditions great swimmer.
    And the Vendetta tires, these in their max width are as close as you can get to having tracks. Also equally good swimmers.

Thank You for responding. A while back I bought some parts off of Richard and he looked up my serial number and thought it was a 76 or 77 model. May even be a rim model? Would you happen to know where the best place to purchase the rims for this machine and do I need a special offset or something of that nature. She’s not a perfect machine but man is it fun. I won’t really. E swimming with it, mostly in some mud with a little water.

You can run lawn tractor wheels, I think some of the old cubs had 12x10 or 12x12 wheels, or check out jeds tire wholesales, they seem to have a good selection, but you might get orange wheels just be sure to get 5x4 1/2" lug pattern. Same as 90s jeep and small ford 5 lug.
    DanW

With that engine and the year, it sounds like it would be a RIM (before Max/RI started making them). It usually says RIM up front, but maybe it had a body swap.

IMG_0208.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    You can run lawn tractor wheels, I think some of the old cubs had 12x10 or 12x12 wheels, or check out jeds tire wholesales, they seem to have a good selection, but you might get orange wheels just be sure to get 5x4 1/2" lug pattern. Same as 90s jeep and small ford 5 lug.
    I use lawn tractor tires. These are WAY better than the terras. Excellent swimming, fantastic mud, awesome snow. I put a little more air in them to lessen the steering effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mfenmor View Post
    Attachment 18293

I use lawn tractor tires. These are WAY better than the terras. Excellent swimming, fantastic mud, awesome snow. I put a little more air in them to lessen the steering effort.
    The Dico tire was factory for a while, the Trupower may have made it on some.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The Dico tire was factory for a while, the Trupower may have made it on some.
    I wish i had another set for my other Max IV, but I forked out around $1200.00 for these.

+ Reply to Thread