New owner with questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New owner with questions

New owner with questions

I bought a 1999 Max IV a couple of weeks ago. I am having a hard time getting it to go forward. When I try to put it in gear it makes a grinding sound. I can make it go in gear but it goes dead. I had someone give me a push and cranked it in gear and that worked fine. It goes into reverse fine. But I cannot make it go into gear and having someone push me is not the way it's supposed to be. Any ideas. Also it makes popping sound that is pretty loud when I try and turn it. I checked the chains and one of them did need to be tightened but that did not solve the problem. When I am on even remotely hard ground it almost wants to go dead before it will turn. As long as I am in the mud it will turn okay but still pops, almost sounds like something is slipping. I just cannot figure out where it is coming from. I see all of the knowledge on this forum and thought better to ask than to tear something up. Thanks

When you go to shift, let off the throttle completely. Then pull the sticks back to stop the trans from spinning. You may have to just bump the sticks back a couple of times while you are shifting into forward to get everything to line up.

If that's not working then you may have your engine idled too high?

For the lack of power, does the motor seem to be running properly? Also, what size motor and tires do you have?

For the popping sound, jack the machine up to get the wheels off the ground. Spin them by hand and check for play in bearings, chains and push and pull on the axle to see if it moves back and forth.

It may be in your best interest to pull the engine and cradle to get a close look at the rear sprockets and chains to see what shape they're in.

I have the 18hp motor and 22in tires. It has plenty of power when driving in the mud or straight, just acts like it does not want to turn. Thanks for the tip on the shifting I thought it seemed to idle a little high but I was not sure, because I have never been around one till now. I will jack it up this weekend and check for slack in the axles. The chain under the motor seems to be a little loose could that be causing the poppin when I try and turn. I saw that and was wondering if if put a strain on it when I was turning and causing the chain to slip because of the slack. Thanks alot

Hi Mike

I'm also a new owner. Got my Max II delivered yesterday. I'm having a hard time shifting too. Thanks for the tip. Hey, maybe you can comment on something else. On the engine hatch cover on my Max II, it's secured to the body with 4 screws that turn a quarter or half turn. One of them keeps vibrating loose and I keep screwing it back. Should I get a new screw or is there some small fix?

Sorry, I have the older body on my Max II with the rubber latches. I would think that you could put a piece of rubber under the screw head to keep it from vibrating back around though?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    On the engine hatch cover on my Max II, it's secured to the body with 4 screws that turn a quarter or half turn. One of them keeps vibrating loose and I keep screwing it back. Should I get a new screw or is there some small fix?
    I also have a new Max II and I don't have this problem. I'd call RI and ask them about it. I imagine they'll get it straight for you one way or another, even though most of us are our own service technicians from the start. <g>

Did you check your belt tension yet? If it's too loose, it can make it harder to shift because the stick jiggling won't help align the gears as much as when the tension is adjusted correctly. I figured this out after already buying the (pricey) shift kit from Richard.

My MAX II popped like mad when I first got it (well used 1986 oldie).
    The cause was old chain and badly worn sprockets.
    Do the lift and wiggle routine with the vehicle jacked off the ground to check for bad bearings that might also make stuff shift position under load.
    My guess is to check out the chain fron the tranny to the center axle first for proper tension and bad sprocket wear.
    These take more time and effort to adjust than the others and probably get overlooked more easily to do the effort required.

Thanks for the tip on shifting. I also have that same issue and am certain that will work.
    I hope this isnt a stupid question. But why jack it up to tighten the chains?

You have to jack it up to eliminate binding in the driveline. That is the best way to check and adjust the chain tension.

+ Reply to Thread