Max 2 no low end torque

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max 2 no low end torque

Max 2 no low end torque

I have a 96 max 2 with a 16hp vanguard. I just installed the high speed clutch upgrade in the primary. Original spring in secondary. Now when I drive it, it has no power for climping hills. The motor revs up in neutral, but when under load it won't. I was also adjusting the governor, which maybe I have something wrong there? Any suggestions?

Higher gearing will take more power.

I put a high speed clutch on my IV. I live in Florida so relatively flat. I could run 30MPH flat but would slow under a load or uphill. Still had low end power though, but wouldn't go 30 up a hill.

The Vanguard should run 4,000rpm. How many are you turning? Do you know how fast you are going?

You will probaby be ok with some adjustments, but might mod the engine some. I would adjust the govenor to turn about 4,500 on flat ground. Then check to see what you can get going uphill. How fast was the stock machine? Mine was 18MPH, now its 30. You should still be able to pull the stock speed ok, but lug above.

Do you have stock tires? Get us some numbers, and we can help better.

I know that the high speed clutch is not really recommended on an 18 or less.

Check out one of my previous threads: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...ore-power.html

Is your belt snug on the clutches and is it at least 1 7/8's wide. (Is that the right width guys, just guessing) You do have to shim the engine to get proper belt tension.

Later,
    Rut
    Last edited by fulleraviation; 05-12-2009 at 12:36 PM.

The motor runs 4000 rpm in neutral. Stock tires. stock motor. Runs in the mid 20's top speed, but takes for ever to wind up to that. If I come to a log or steep hill, it will barely climb over. At top speed, when I come to a hill it will bog down around 2000 rpm, depending on the hill. Was a lot better before about climbing over obstacles.

Belt tension is good. Could the governor do this? Should I switch to a red spring in the secondary? Thanks for the help.

You may want to check your belt tension. If the belt is too loose, you will lose your low end.

Hate to say it, but I think the 16hp engine is too weak for the application. Is your belt wore to thin? Get a measurement!

Next, if the engine is too weak you could sell it or hop it up!

Is anyone else running the high speed clutch with a 16?

Where did you get the clutch? It's not for a 2-stoke by chance?

Hey liflod, hows your 18 doing?

Wish you could borrow mine for a day, it's a rocket now with the mods that I have done. Reliable so far.

Rut

It's not a whole new clutch. It's just the heavy weight and spring upgrade from R.I., for '98 older clutches. Sorry for the mistake

AHHHH! it's shifting way to fast.... It's running the belt up too quickly.

I have no experience with that mod...

Either it's installed incorectly or not right for the application. Your fix is arround the corner I'm sure.

You need to call RI. I usually talk to Jay, but everyone is friendly and willing to help.

When i installed the high speed kit, i also installed the red spring at the same time and it seems to have the same low end power, but i drive mostly flat land.

What does the high speed kit do? Unless you install a larger diameter clutch, I do not understand how you can go faster. Is the belt allowed with this kit to ride higher than stock which equals larger diameter?

It seems from the posts and reading between the lines that this kit allows the clucth to change/move throughout its range quicker which would allow faster acceration, but would bog down a smaller engine. In the end you would not go any faster, just get there quicker if your engine had the torque?

Interesting, can't wait to hear what RI say's or any other members more familiar with this. I would call RI, but sure someone will post their response soon.

BTW: I installed an Argo Clutch on my Max IV on an 18hp machine. Richard at Richards Relics sold it to me. It is a larger diamenter, and retains the same low gearing. I Love it!

Read this thread. I have pictures of stock and high speed clutch for those interested: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...ed-mods-2.html

Rut
    Last edited by fulleraviation; 05-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread