Here's proof: 25" Mudbugs on 950 Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Here's proof: 25" Mudbugs on 950 Hustler

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

Here's proof: 25" Mudbugs on 950 Hustler

As promised here are a few pics of the 950 with the Mudbugs. When I was doing the restoration on my Hustler I was told that a 22" tire was the biggest tire that I would be able to run on it. It seemed to me that I had enough room to fit a larger tire, Dave (Mudbug3+) had access to a couple of them that were already mounted on rims and we tried them on for size. I only had to space them out about 1/2" and have now been running them for about 4 months. I have noticed that they are harder to skid steer due to their superior (compared to the rawhides) traction.--Enjoy!
    Attached Images

Cool Kool!!!!

That gives it an awsome look. Did you use beadlock rims?

Still want a KID

You betcha Kahn! Matter of fact, the best service I ever got out of the rawhideIII's was when I traded them to Matt O for 6 of his
    9" Beadlock rims. There is no comparrison in performance, and I reaffirm this fact EVERY time I ride through stuff with the Mudbugs that I had to winch out of with the III's. Come to think of it, I can't recall a single time that I've had to winch out of a hole that the rawhides had me pulling cable to get unhung from. In the close-up shot of the tire, you can see a chunk of bark stuck between the rim and tire, with the original rims and III's that would have been a flat and likely a popped bead, even at 4psi. What this pic shows is a tire that is still seated on the rim and holding air at only 1psi inflation. If I had a guage that would read in 1/2psi increments, I would try that because I like to watch them wrinkle up when they roll over something!

How do they swim compared to your old set up?

Well I knew someone would get around to asking that, and to be honest I have never put them to the GPS test. But I can say that the III's had 0 water speed, 0 control and 0 muddin ability. Whereas tha' Bugs at least will swim enough to allow me to move and maneuver in the water, with the treads in their intended orientation. Which also gives superior traction and pulling power, and also crawls over logs better. I recently took a minute to voice my OPINION of III's on the other site. I think it says it all.

My link wouldn't connect, but if you want to read go to Route 6x6 discussion board and look up "tire tread height", under "shop talk". My replies are under Gregg G
    Last edited by brushcutter; 06-06-2009 at 07:47 PM.

SWAMP HAWG ,

( brushcutter --> QUOTE ) " I actually call them rawhides, after running them for only 3 months I came to call them Redasses. I would say go with something larger and more aggressive, but I don't know for sure that the '99 Max will have enough tub clearance. Now as for why in my opinion they (can only speak for the 22's)are JUNK is as follows: They have almost no mudding ability compared to some other tires ( vampires or terra tires,I run 25" Mudbugs)I ride in sloughs that are full of layered leaves and silt with logs. I have driven through and over stuff that the (I'll be nice) rawhides wouldn't and couldn't even begin to go through. With the rawhides at 3psi, I was constantly popping beads loose, with the Mudbugs at 1psi I have yet to pop a bead and the ride is better than the rawhides, and did I mention they are 6 ply that means way fewer punctures- rawhides 1 hole, 1 cut in sidewall and 4 popped beads- Mudbugs 0, 0 and 0. The Mudbugs swim better for me-and I have witnesses to this- than those other tires, and yes I tried every tread direction & mix up that you can think of with almost 0 change and 0 waterspeed. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the Mudbugs are gonna break any swimming records, but I will say that now I can at least MOVE in deep water, whereas with those favorites of yours all I did was stir up the water and went nowhere. I tried low throttle, high, wide screaming open, no throttle, just above idle, high idle, leaning in- every direction- rocking, back and forth all for no gain in waterspeed. If it takes all that then you just as well be on a quad. But I'll tell you the few things that did help the w/s thing-- pushing with a stick-- pulling on limbs that I could reach--winching--or just saying to hell with it and getting out and pushing. I don't know what you ride in-the city park maybe- but if you ever get into the kind of stuff I ride in, you will be needing some tires other than rawhides, unless you like winching.

Now if you want I can get a couple of other fellows to come tell you about Vampires and some other tires. "

The is the post from the Route 6x6 forum that Gregg is referring to
    Last edited by mudbug3; 06-09-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Yeah, thats tha one, Thanks, Dave!

Cool Kooooolllll!!!!!

Thats a real good looking machine! I should get my first beadlocks this saturday when we go to CAW. I think I am going to leave my Avenger stock for now, but My T-Jet project will probably sport the Vampires or something simular.

Still want a KID

I think that you will really like the beadlock rims. I had a tire shop mount the Mudbugs for me. They pop really loud when the bead seats!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    SWAMP HAWG ,

( QUOTE ) " I actually call them rawhides, after running them for only 3 months I came to call them Redasses. I would say go with something larger and more aggressive, but I don't know for sure that the '99 Max will have enough tub clearance. Now as for why in my opinion they (can only speak for the 22's)are JUNK is as follows: They have almost no mudding ability compared to some other tires ( vampires or terra tires,I run 25" Mudbugs)I ride in sloughs that are full of layered leaves and silt with logs. I have driven through and over stuff that the (I'll be nice) rawhides wouldn't and couldn't even begin to go through. With the rawhides at 3psi, I was constantly popping beads loose, with the Mudbugs at 1psi I have yet to pop a bead and the ride is better than the rawhides, and did I mention they are 6 ply that means way fewer punctures- rawhides 1 hole, 1 cut in sidewall and 4 popped beads- Mudbugs 0, 0 and 0. The Mudbugs swim better for me-and I have witnesses to this- than those other tires, and yes I tried every tread direction & mix up that you can think of with almost 0 change and 0 waterspeed. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the Mudbugs are gonna break any swimming records, but I will say that now I can at least MOVE in deep water, whereas with those favorites of yours all I did was stir up the water and went nowhere. I tried low throttle, high, wide screaming open, no throttle, just above idle, high idle, leaning in- every direction- rocking, back and forth all for no gain in waterspeed. If it takes all that then you just as well be on a quad. But I'll tell you the few things that did help the w/s thing-- pushing with a stick-- pulling on limbs that I could reach--winching--or just saying to hell with it and getting out and pushing. I don't know what you ride in-the city park maybe- but if you ever get into the kind of stuff I ride in, you will be needing some tires other than rawhides, unless you like winching.

Now if you want I can get a couple of other fellows to come tell you about Vampires and some other tires. "

The is the post from the Route 6x6 forum that Gregg is referring to
    I have never been a proponent of rawhides.
    I thought they sucked 25 years ago when I replaced a set of 25 x 12 x9 III's on my BIG RED 3 wheeler with a set of "new" Vampires. No comparison.
    I just have continued curiosity about the swimming abilities of the Mudbugs as I impulsively bought 6 22x12x9's when I found out that size was discontinued.
    I have yet to mount them as I had other mechanical issues to work on , plus I still need to order a set of Mudoxx wheels. I would possibly unload them & get some 22 x 12.50 x9 Vamps If they were way better in the water.

+ Reply to Thread