MaxII Bearing flange installation

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MaxII Bearing flange installation

MaxII Bearing flange installation

My MaxII Bearing flange had the bottom tub sandwiched between the flanges, is this correct?
    Thanks for the help(agian)

No, the flanges should only sandwich the bearings. See this article: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...placement.html

More Bearing flange questions

Great article with great pics, thanks Mike.
    My MaxII outer bearing flanges do not have grease zerks, I bought triple sealed bearing from Buffalo Bearing.
    Should I get outer flanges with grease zerks?
    Shows what I know about these things(but I'm learning)

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven's Pavement View Post
    Great article with great pics, thanks Mike.
    My MaxII outer bearing flanges do not have grease zerks, I bought triple sealed bearing from Buffalo Bearing.
    Should I get outer flanges with grease zerks?
    Shows what I know about these things(but I'm learning)
    heaven yes get the ones with the grease zerks . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Here are a couple of thoughts for you guys to kick around. First, if you can, look at the bearings before you buy them, make sure that they have a small groove around the outer edge of the race, with holes in it. I recently ran across some Timken bearings that had the holes on the side opposite of the lock collar, I like to put the collars to the outside, so this would make them unsuitable for me to use. Also, there were no holes on the collar side at all, another minus, and these were about $45 each.

That brings me to the main point: the bearings we use are apparently not meant to be greased very often. Why do I say this? Because I grease my bearings after EVERY ride, and after some time blew the seals, and they leak. If you must grease them, do it with some thought to this. Every time, there was water in them, so therein is the dilema: risk over-greasing them and blow the seals, or don't and risk having water rust them up. These bearings allow you to put some grease IN but have no way for the old to get OUT.

Now here is what I am going to do when I change my bearings and you guys can think it over and decide for yourselves: I am going to carefully drill 3/32" holes, at least 3 of them, through the inside seals, which will allow the grease to exit, and carry the old gunk out with it, this will prevent the seals from being blown out also. Since they will be to the inside of the tub and as long as these holes are packed with grease nothing of any consequence will be able to get in. I am not telling you to do this but I am certainly going to do it myself. And I will then KNOW that my bearings are getting CLEAN grease every time. Okay: start kickin'

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Here are a couple of thoughts for you guys to kick around. First, if you can, look at the bearings before you buy them, make sure that they have a small groove around the outer edge of the race, with holes in it. I recently ran across some Timken bearings that had the holes on the side opposite of the lock collar, I like to put the collars to the outside, so this would make them unsuitable for me to use. Also, there were no holes on the collar side at all, another minus, and these were about $45 each.

That brings me to the main point: the bearings we use are apparently not meant to be greased very often. Why do I say this? Because I grease my bearings after EVERY ride, and after some time blew the seals, and they leak. If you must grease them, do it with some thought to this. Every time, there was water in them, so therein is the dilema: risk over-greasing them and blow the seals, or don't and risk having water rust them up. These bearings allow you to put some grease IN but have no way for the old to get OUT.

Now here is what I am going to do when I change my bearings and you guys can think it over and decide for yourselves: I am going to carefully drill 3/32" holes, at least 3 of them, through the inside seals, which will allow the grease to exit, and carry the old gunk out with it, this will prevent the seals from being blown out also. Since they will be to the inside of the tub and as long as these holes are packed with grease nothing of any consequence will be able to get in. I am not telling you to do this but I am certainly going to do it myself. And I will then KNOW that my bearings are getting CLEAN grease every time. Okay: start kickin'
    If the seal is good, no water should get in. Adding holes will only worsen the situation. Being on the inside could be just as bad as outside. Best bet is to carefully limit your greasing. Maybe if someone has an owners manual it will say the PM maintenance schedule. I have never had a manual. I rarely grease my bearings and I have never had to replace a bearing I already replaced. Thats just my experience.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I hear what you're saying, but this is something I just "gotta try". Probably on the front, where I can easily see the result.... I do have some tiny rubber plugs that are just laying around... lets see pull out plugs... grease bearings... put plugs back in.... works in my head. Guess you could say in my case, too much FRESH grease is worse than no grease at all .I will however, use a better quality, tripple seal style bearing this time, for sure!

New Max II Bearings

OK link below is to my new bearings from Buffalo Bearing.Very happy with thier service, nice gentleman on the phone.
    I do not know if you can see in the pic but there is a "bump" on the bearing anyone know what is is?
    These are suppose to be triple sealed..
    Comments on maintaining these properly, please

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...o=6290&cat=502
    Last edited by Heaven's Pavement; 09-12-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Picture link would be helpful :)

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven's Pavement View Post
    OK link below is to my new bearings from Buffalo Bearing.Very happy with thier service, nice gentleman on the phone.
    I do not know if you can see in the pic but there is a "bump" on the bearing anyone know what is is?
    These are suppose to be triple sealed..
    Comments on maintaining these properly, please
    Hello,
    I don't see a picture but if its what I think it is It should fit in the flange so the outer racer don't spin.

Bearing Picture

The Link works for me,.
    To see it, after clicking the link, do a right click "save as" on the picture, you will need to "zoom in", I've circled in red what I'm asking about.
    Another dumb question,
    Do you have to grease new bearings?

+ Reply to Thread