Trailering a Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailering a Max IV

Question Trailering a Max IV

Just bought a 2002 Max IV and have to drive a ways to pick it up next weekend. I'll be using my 2000 Jeep Cherokee to pull a 6x10 trailer. It's gonna be a rather tight fit, but hopefully should work fine. However, I am unsure of where the balance point is on a IV.

Which is the safest direction to load a Max IV... Forward-facing OR Rearward-facing??

I was thinking that rearward-facing would be best since engine & tranny are at the very back of the vehicle and are stacked atop one another, but I thought I should ask here first before attempting it since some of you Max IV owners must trailer your machines to rides and such and would know the best method of loading for safe, well-balanced transport.

Please advise. THANKS!

I would load it nose first to put the weight over the axel of the trailer.If you load it rear first most of the weight will be on the tongue of your trailer.I haul a hustler and a maxll on a 5x13 foot trailer,Both machines nose first.Congrats on the max4,I'm sure you will enjoy it.

depends on your axle placement on the trailer but you "need" more on the tongue side. I almost lost it on the high way once when the rear was overload and the back of the truck starts swaying because of no weight and you instantly try for brake which only take more weight of the rear and holy cow, I fertilized myself, lol. I keep the tongue heavy know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    depends on your axle placement on the trailer but you "need" more on the tongue side. I almost lost it on the high way once when the rear was overload and the back of the truck starts swaying because of no weight and you instantly try for brake which only take more weight of the rear and holy cow, I fertilized myself, lol. I keep the tongue heavy know!!!
    yep larry is right . u allways want it tounge heavy . so it will pull right i put my max IV in front ways all the way forward . .but i do have a 2500ram cummins . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Thumbs down

Well...

Whew, what a long day!! After a grueling 26hrs. (!) I got home last night with my "new" 2002 Max IV. Gotta love (or hate!) eBay. So, here's a pic I just snapped this morning of it still sitting up on the trailer. I was too tired to try and unload it in the dark last night after all that time being barely awake. I was existing purely on the caffeine from almost a whole case of Mountain Dew Live Wire that I was chugging 1-per-hour on the return trip. And I normally do not drink caffeine. Ack!

The Max's weight didn't balance far enough forward over the axle when loaded facing front; it felt "tippy" to me, and I didn't want to take ANY risks with a new rig that I'd just plunked $4k down for!! So I ended up loading it ass backwards - sort of my life motto, I guess. LOL This worked better, but I now know I need to get a lower drop hitch. I borrowed a friend's adjustable Reese and it worked okay, but another 1 1/2" lower would have been almost dead level and probably felt more confidence-inspiring.

I am going to mount a couple of 6"x6"x24" chunks up in the front corners of the bed to block the Max's tires for future trips, so that I can load it facing forward without worrying about going too far and driving off the front edge. I'm just amazed how well my beat-up 32+ year old trailer handled. Also impressed with my Jeep Cherokee, as I had never hauled anything before yesterday. Fairly well-mannered.

The good news is that if I can get the Max IV all the way forward, I think I'll have enough space to throw my Rokon on the rear and bring them both to the Trail Ride in Ashtabula next year! That is... IF you have one next year!

That is cool you made it without any problem.

Man, that sure looks like a nice max. Congratulations!!!

Talking

Thanks, Larry.

It's pristine condition is one of the reasons I bought it. That and the price was too cheap to resist. When I first saw the auction I priced out an '02 Max IV 900-T with all the options this machine has on it and it came to around $14k! [25hp Kohler Command, 26" Terra grips, roll cage, heated throttle, 12v power point plug, service package, halogen headlights, front & rear skid plates]

When I looked it over, both the online pix and in person, I was amazed! It's damn near in brand new condition. The body has NO nicks, gouges or scratches on it; only some very minor scuff marks where the engine cover rests on the upper tub - but this appears to be normal wear from servicing? There is zero rust on the frame. Light surface rust on the exhaust muffler, but I'll sand that and hit it with some BBQ black hi-temp paint. Some of the rims have light rust on the outer edges, but that's really about it. Heck, it looks like it was just put together. Incredible condition. Obviously very-well maintained and likely not much use. I can't verify the exact amount because the rig has no hour meter.

I was told the machine was originally bought by a small golf course as a UTV, but apparently saw very little action because the skid steer was too hard on the grass. (What genius chooses a skid-steer as a utility machine on a golf course?!? Carl Spackler? "I smell varmit poontang!" LOL) Then an older fella bought and kept it for a few years, puttering around on his property. Last owner bought it from that guy and used it primarily for hunting but found it not to his liking, whether sized a little too big or awkward handling on steep downgrades in the hills where he hunts... he didn't elaborate. This guy wasn't hard up for cash and just wanted to unload it to make space in his garage for a new toy.

That's where I came in. So anyhow... a practically brand new $14,000 machine for $4,000??? It wiped out my fun money for the rest of this year and, to be honest, most of next. LOL ...but I just couldn't pass on such a great bargain. I really don't have room for it, so something in the garage will have to take up residence outside for the foreseeable future. I have a couple of project motorcycles that might have to get sold off unfinished just to clear space.

Time to go get me some heavy duty tarps, I guess?!

I must sign off to to get the beast unloaded and go find some mud! Yee-haw!!!

Very nice. I think you did VERY well. Now go have fun!

Dang it Harry, I want one now,too.
    Last edited by LarryW; 09-19-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Dang it Harry, I want one now,too.
    Well Larry... here's your chance!!

6x6 ATV with Snow Plow MAX IV Amphibious:eBay Motors (item 200387222270 end time Sep-30-09 10:06:01 PDT)

This one looks as clean as the 2002 IV that I just picked up. The only downside is the smaller 18hp engine, but to compensate for that it has a winch AND a snow plow!!! Winter's on the way, and as a fellow Michigander I don't need to tell you what that means!

Seriously, this looks like a great deal - depending on how high the bidding goes of course. It would be a slightly longer trip to pick up, but splitting it up into an overnighter would make it a breeze and definitely worth the drive if the price is reasonable. How are your TOY funds right now???

+ Reply to Thread